Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

Beans

Re: Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

im not sure either. 10.10 is running pretty well, so I may stay with it for a while. Im trying to get the gigabit ports to work by iinstalling broadcom's driver now. Thank you for all of your help.

Beans

Smile Re: Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

Just thought I'd chip in since I have the exact same hardware and running Ubuntu 12.04 almost without a hitch!

The video issues you are experiencing are likely related to that HDMI adapter. I have my 47" LG TV connected as a monitor to the first DVI port of the 6600 (that's the one nearest the casing) and connected to the VGA port of the TV via an Apple DVI to VGA adapter. I have had no problems with this configuration other than the screen being black on the left-hand-side when using a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Using 1280 x 1024 is just fine although the icons on the Launcher are white and the alpha seems altogether a bit weird.

The fans issue is normal, I think, and it's due to the fact that the thermal support isn't correctly implemented on the original install disc. It shouldn't hurt the Mac, just run Software Update in Ubuntu once you get it going and it will right itself.

I would be interested to see how you get on as I think the G5 is a fantastic piece of hardware and we're all going to get a lot of use out of these babies yet!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Glad 10.10 is working. You could try to upgrade to 11.04 next & see if that works.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans

Im going to try the 12.04 disk with a monitor that supports dvi. The 11.04 update broke the install and i can only get tin by using the "old" command.

ps: did you get it going with the live or alternate installer? what parameters did you use?
    Last edited by ImAliveG5; July 22nd, 2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: need to clarify

Beans

Prymus - Thanks for confirming the hardware. I would be curious to know if the other "weirdness" you mentioned was acceleration related. I've noticed "what I see" changes depending on the default resolution of the monitor connected.

ImAliveG5- Just my own preference when running in to tough issues like you are seeing. CLI install first (no parameters should be needed) to verify you can at least get kernel loaded and command line and then just run tasksel to install your desktop/s. (This is if simply removing the HDMI adapter doesn't improve things. My speculation concurs with what prymus posted.)
    Last edited by str8bs; July 22nd, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: clarify CLI/speculation

Beans

the basic live cd **and cli install** still do not work. I am using a samsung monitor with dvi inputs.

the cli install is doing the same thing I described in the first post.
    Last edited by ImAliveG5; July 22nd, 2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Tried CLI and failed with flying colors.

Beans

IMO, that leaves us with:
    Something up with the ISO you are using, or
    See if we can find a difference between your hardware and prymus. The only one we know right now is the connected display.

Probably stating the obvious, but try omitting any hardware that isn't necessary. IE: USB hubs, KVM, Firewire, etc.

Beans

I changed monitors and I only have a keyboard and mouse plugged in.

This page details the hardware configuration of the late 2005 g5s:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP37

Mine is the Dual 2GHz with the Nvidia GeForce 6600LE
    I added the Airport Extreme Card when the Gigabit Ethernet ports stopped working 2 years ago.
    Speaking of the Ethernet ports... what happened was I literally just turned the computer on one day and the interface in osx said cable unplugged for both ports. So I deleted the configurations from network settings and couldn't create new ones because the network interfaces disappeared. I only had options to make a FireWire connection. After installing 10.10, I typed lshw into terminal and it saw the Ethernet ports! I can't get an internet connection from them, but Linux being able to see them makes me think they can be fixed. Any idea what happened?

Beans

I'm grasping at straws unless prymus or others see a difference.

That OSX sees a hardware problem where Linux does not with your ethernet is curious. You mentioned adding Wi-FI: Does anyone know if the current b43 problem in known issues could preset as the "1. 1. 1...." failure ImAliveG5 is seeing?

Might be worth a shot: see b43 here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    rsavage- clarification appreciated
    I'm pretty sure if you don't use video=ofonly in debian, then you get this sort of thing http://www.mintppc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=973 .

Getting back to ImAliveG5's problem..... in the back of my mind I always have pauljwell's bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/912071 . I'm sure he has a similar machine, although they all sound the same to me.

Do you get any part of the installer going before the 1's appear?

It's pretty common for ubuntu to output on a different port to Mac OS X. Have you tried booting with it connected to each port?

You need to use the relevant nosplash option to see where it stalls.

If you can't boot into single user mode even with nouveau turned off, and you've tried every port then I don't know what else there is to suggest. It's contact the powerpc kernel people time.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast