Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nautilus shows 'me' as owner instead of user name

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nautilus shows 'me' as owner instead of user name

The new Nautilus no longer shows the user name as owner of a file, but instead displays 'me':

If this bothers you, leave a comment explaining why you think this is a defect/bug of Nautilus. Please don't start discussions in the bug report, this is only to collect info why you think that this is something that needs fixing.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=680282
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Nautilus shows 'me' as owner instead of user name

What if there is a user named "me"? Isn't GNOME done with dumbing down the UI? Dangit.

Beans
    Distro

Wow. GNOME really needs to hire a usability expert to veto some of these stupid ideas.

Luna is looking better by the day.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"me" is illogical.

It is the first person and implies that the machine, rather than the user, is the owner of the process or file.

"Hey, user! I'm in charge of this, so get lost!"

"you" might be workable, since the machine would be reporting to you, as the user, that you own the process or file.

Still, the username has long been the convention and is not ambiguous.
    Last edited by QIII; July 20th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans
    Distro

"me , my and I".

"My Computer" , MyFiles, MyNautilus.

If I were a Scottsman (say Scotty on Star Trek) I might say .. "I can't get me computer to reboot captain"!

But you're right. It's gotta get fixed.
    Last edited by ventrical; July 20th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

"me" is a pronoun. <name of person here> is a proper noun. This is a matter of assignment.

I did decide to file a bug on this, all kidding aside.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1027216
    Last edited by ventrical; July 20th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    Wow. GNOME really needs to hire a usability expert to veto some of these stupid ideas.
    This all fits with the Gnome Central Commands guidelines: http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/...people.html.en
    Remember that the purpose of any software application is to enable some group of people to accomplish a specific set of tasks. So, the first things to establish when designing your application are:

1. who your users are
    2. what you want to enable them to do

Is not "me" a user?

Item 2 is kind of interesting isn't it? One would think that it should read: "what the users told you they want it to do" Software development in the real world would get a whole lot simpler if the development team told the users: this is what you need.

Beans
    Distro

"me" is ambiguous. Might as well then call it "I".

"
    Me is used in many constructions where strict grammarians prescribe I. This usage is not so much ungrammatical as indicative of the shrinking range of the nominative form: me began to replace I sometime around the 16th century largely because of the pressure of word order. I is now chiefly used as the subject of an immediately following verb. Me occurs in every other position: absolutely <who, me?>, emphatically <me too>, and after prepositions, conjunctions, and verbs, including be <come with me> <you're as big as me> <it's me>. Almost all usage books recognize the legitimacy of me in these positions, especially in speech; some recommend I in formal and especially written contexts after be and after as and than when the first term of the comparison is the subject of a verb.
    "
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"me" is ambiguous because as the "person speaking" the machine is identifying itself as the owner.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius
    Software development in the real world would get a whole lot simpler if the development team told the users: this is what you need.
    Easier, perhaps. But dictatorial.

Item 2 is definitely an interesting take.

Software development should be directed by the users' expressed needs. Developers should not drive how the users go about their business.

Otherwise developers go to work for Microsoft.

(I don't gripe about Microsoft's products in general. And their developers are certainly dedicated and skilled. Just don't care for Microsoft's business practices.)
    Last edited by QIII; July 20th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast