Thread: Backup Virtualbox

Beans

Question Backup Virtualbox

Hello.. I want to install ubuntu in virtualbox on my windows 7 desktop to get acclimated with it. I am getting a laptop soon and want be familiar with Ubuntu before I install it on the laptop. How can I backup files and programs installed in the virtualbox so that I can transfer them to Ubuntu on my laptop when I receive it? If that's possible, I think it is and is it worth it? I don't want to dualboot..Thanks alot.
    Last edited by hhhlga89; July 20th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Backup Wubi

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Misc. & see: How do I migrate to a real partition, and/or get rid of Windows entirely?

If you start with a new Ubuntu installation on a brand new computer without backing up programs:
    • Easy way: Copy over your files using an USB flash drive.

• Advanced: If you have access to the root.disk (C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk) file from your old computer, you can mount it in Ubuntu & copy over all your personal files: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...76&postcount=4 The drawback is you'll have to install all software using the repositories instead of migrating the software using wubi-move-2.2.tar.gz.
    Last edited by Lyfang; July 20th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Backup Virtualbox

wubi or virtualbox?

Anyway, if you have not installed any proprietary drivers, an Ubuntu installation is truly portable. You should be able to clone it to a USB drive (if there is space enough), and then clone it once more to the final destination in some computer.

You can clone a drive with Clonezilla, but you can also make a compressed image (to squeeze more data into a limited space).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hhhlga89 View Post
    Hello.. I want to install ubuntu in virtualbox on my windows 7 desktop to get acclimated with it. I am getting a laptop soon and want be familiar with Ubuntu before I install it on the laptop. How can I backup files and programs installed in the virtualbox so that I can transfer them to Ubuntu on my laptop when I receive it? If that's possible, I think it is and is it worth it? I don't want to dualboot..Thanks alot.
    The other replies might be what you want, but I think you are just interested in exporting the entire VM that you created inside virtualbox and loading it into another virtualbox installed on the new laptop, correct? That is easy. In virtualbox's GUI, File --> Export Appliance.

Those files can be imported into virtualbox on the newer PC.

VirtualBox is perfect for this, but any other virtualization technology can accomplish the same thing. For desktop virtualization, VirtualBox is pretty easy. Enjoy.

None of this is done inside the virtual machine and the VM needs to be shutdown during this. If you need a command line way on MS-Windows, use
    Code:
    "c:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxManage.exe"  export "$vm"  -o "P:/VM-Backups/$vm.ovf"
    Just change the $vm into the name and output location desired your VM export. BTW, that command is part of my weekly VM backup method. It works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hhhlga89 was talking about Wubi at first. However since hhhlga89 edited & is now talking about VirtualBox, exporting a Virtual Machine could work in this case? Moving the VM to the newly installed VirtualBox on the new computer. Go to VirtualBox & see if you can find "Export Appliance" & "Import Appliance". May I ask why you would like to backup your programs, hhhlga89?

Beans

Thanks alot guys. All your post were very helpful. The first responce was more of what I was thinking about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hhhlga89 View Post
    Thanks alot guys. All your post were very helpful. The first responce was more of what I was thinking about.
    So let me understand ... you aren't using virtualbox at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, you can backup and move a VM to a "real" (host) machine.
    Just boot up CloneZilla on the VM and clone the VM onto a external storage device. When you get your laptop, just plugin that storage device with the clone into the laptop. Boot up CloneZilla and use the "restoredisk"-option.