Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu v12 Installation on a external HDD issue

Beans

Re: Ubuntu v12 Installation on a external HDD issue

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I think that it is a big problem, that the partition is not found (I guess it is the root partition). Can you check, that the partition UUID number is correct, and that the drive id number is correct. Maybe it helps to read the following link
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

I read through the page and didn't see anything about the UUID number and how to validate it. I did do some further research on the HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed message and found this article:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/150253/trying-to-install-ubuntu-via-usb-getting-error-hdio-get-identity-failed-for-dev

I typed exit like it says and it is just haning on the "ubuntu" with the 5 dots booting screen.

I am not sure if this is part of the problem or not, but the external HDD is fairly old (I believe 1.1 compliant only) and the laptop has USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports (can't remember). I think ubuntu is having difficulties reading from the slower USB device.

What would happen if I disabled the echi_hcd thing? Not that I know how to do that mind you...

Thanks again for everyone's help! I really want to start using ubuntu. I have a copy running on a USB drive but it is really limited, but I love the desktop and how it works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had a similar problem, where one laptop allowed me to boot into the external USB HD and another laptop would not. I knew the install on the external HD was OK, because it worked with the first machine.

In my case I had a booting linux partition on the internal drive; the solution was to install PLOP, a boot manager, to switch from the sda drive to the sdb drive from the GRUB2 menu. Probably doesn't help you though, if you can't modify the sda drive. Probably you can make a "boot CD" with the boot files on it, plus PLOP, but I cannot give you full instructions.

Hope that helps you find a way forward!
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scradock View Post
    I had a similar problem, where one laptop allowed me to boot into the external USB HD and another laptop would not. I knew the install on the external HD was OK, because it worked with the first machine.

In my case I had a booting linux partition on the internal drive; the solution was to install PLOP, a boot manager, to switch from the sda drive to the sdb drive from the GRUB2 menu. Probably doesn't help you though, if you can't modify the sda drive. Probably you can make a "boot CD" with the boot files on it, plus PLOP, but I cannot give you full instructions.

Hope that helps you find a way forward!
    I have tried this on 3 different computers (Toshiba, Gateway, Dell). My kids laptops and my work laptop. They all behave the same. This is the 64-bit version of 12.04.

I wonder if I should just create a 32-bit version and see if that works. To me it seems there is an issue with the USB handlers...

I base this off of 2 things and zero knowledge of Ubuntu (so take it with a grain of salt):

1. This is an older enclosure requiring backwards compatibility
    2. I did get the installation to actually run, but it was not easy and even then it wouldn't recognize my laptop mouse and when I connected a usb mouse, it wouldn't recognize it either. I had to reboot the laptop with the external mouse already connected.

The article I posted in my last reply was correct in getting it to work (I missed a step the first time I tried it):

One way to work temporarily is to remove "quiet splash" from the command line in the grub menu and press f10 to begin booting. When it fails and prints (initramfs) enter exit and the boot will continue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12