Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T430 12.04 randomy crashes

Beans

T430 12.04 randomy crashes

Hi all! I need help

I installed ubuntu 12.04 on my Lenovo T430 laptop and everything works good at first look. But the system randomly crashes and only hard reset returns it to work.

The graphics looks good, i have no issues with it (1920x1200)

I can't figure out how to solve this problem

Beans

Re: T430 12.04 randomy crashes

Have the same issue here! [ubuntu 12.04 on lenovo T430]
    It randomly crashes, making it difficult to identify if some specific software is responsible for it.

Two clues which might help identify the source:
    (1) the file manager I use is "konqueror": this is the software I always open while crashing.
    (2) I installed a widget called "weather indicator", but this software crashes in roughly 30 minutes.

thank you in advance for any comments!

Beans

There are many people having the same issue. Ivy Bridge isn't officially supported in kernel 3.2, hence an upgrade to 3.4 might help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EGA View Post
    There are many people having the same issue. Ivy Bridge isn't officially supported in kernel 3.2, hence an upgrade to 3.4 might help!
    Thank you. Indeed I upgraded the kernel to 3.5 and it works well so far [8 hours without crash]. The upgrading is not painful, so worth trying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=traegZveTKo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EGA View Post
    From the bug reports it must bee thousands of users. Think Ubuntu could bee more helpful here.
    I tried the bug #999910 advice: upgrade to 3.2.0-27-generic #43-Ubuntu:

• open update manager
    • click settings
    • check pre-realesed updates
    • click check button in update manager
    • install updates
    • reboot

24 hour later, no freeze so far.

If there is a bug in 3.2 kernel that affects all ivy bridge systems, it seems proper with an official recommended solution.
    What about all pre-installed systems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For those with T430 at their disposal, can I threadjack a little () and ask the same questions I asked in the parallel thread:
    - one user reported that the mini display port on the T430 doesn't work properly out of the box: can any of you check whether it is still true after the updates?
    - another user reported random pulseaudio crashes on T430 with Ubuntu 12.04. I can't find the exact post at the moment, but I remember I've seen it somewhere here. Could you please tell of your experience with audio on this machine?

Thanks and sorry for being slightly off-topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jonblund View Post
    upgrade to 3.2.0-27-generic
    Today my update manager offered to update the kernel to 3.2.0-27. I believe, now the users will get this kernel version automatically.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by azangru View Post
    For those with T430 at their disposal, can I threadjack a little and ask the same questions I asked in the parallel thread:
    - one user reported that the mini display port on the T430 doesn't work properly out of the box: can any of you check whether it is still true after the updates?
    - another user reported random pulseaudio crashes on T430 with Ubuntu 12.04. I can't find the exact post at the moment, but I remember I've seen it somewhere here. Could you please tell of your experience with audio on this machine?

Thanks and sorry for being slightly off-topic.
    Nice questions. Those were on my mind to begin with... Also, for the testers, please remember to use a cable that supports the audio for testing, as I have heard of video-only cables such as some DP-to-HDMI converters.

For the OP, upgrading to quantal-alpha-3 did the job over here -- as it comes bundled with a bleeding-edge Linux kernel. Quite stable too, if you would be asking me. Fan speed seems normal too without having had to install any extraneous software. 100% Ubuntu-native software, 100% open-source over here (Intel GPU and Wireless devices used, though).

Beans

just updated my kernel to 3.4, hope it helps.. )

Beans
    Hidden!

I must also note that under 12.10 alpha 2, sometimes resume fails -- it freezes -- after the lid has been closed, even if "suspend" has been disabled on lid close in the power settings.

Not sure if the issue is specific to ThinkPads, though, or if it affects a wide range of laptops. I am not caring much, though, as the "restore previous session" feature of Firefox is really handy, and as I am running an alpha release.

EDIT: I think I have fixed it by disabling the automatic-screen-lock feature altogether -- before doing so, it would still lock the screen on lid close, for it to be noted.
    Last edited by twipley; July 27th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast