Thread: GazP7 - Fan stops working after suspend/resume or reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

GazP7 - Fan stops working after suspend/resume or reboot

I have a problem my GazP7, where the fan stops working whenever I either suspend to RAM and then resume, or reboot. I'm not sure if it actually stops spinning entirely, or if it just spins very slowly, but either way it doesn't speed up with increased temperature, which is obviously a problem. The only way I have found to make it work again is to shut the computer down completely, and then turn it back on with the power button. All of this is 100% reproducible.

I am going to open a ticket with System76 support on this, but first I'd like to figure out whether this problem is isolated to my machine, or if it's more widespread. So, anyone with a GazP7 (other models are also of interest) could you test if a suspend/resume cycle causes this to happen to your fan?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: GazP7 - Fan stops working after suspend/resume or reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    I have a problem my GazP7, where the fan stops working whenever I either suspend to RAM and then resume, or reboot. I'm not sure if it actually stops spinning entirely, or if it just spins very slowly, but either way it doesn't speed up with increased temperature, which is obviously a problem. The only way I have found to make it work again is to shut the computer down completely, and then turn it back on with the power button. All of this is 100% reproducible.

I am going to open a ticket with System76 support on this, but first I'd like to figure out whether this problem is isolated to my machine, or if it's more widespread. So, anyone with a GazP7 (other models are also of interest) could you test if a suspend/resume cycle causes this to happen to your fan?
    Does it eventually overheat and shutdown? If it's never getting hot enough to increase the fan speed, it should stay very low, and therefore quiet.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: GazP7 - Fan stops working after suspend/resume or reboot

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Does it eventually overheat and shutdown? If it's never getting hot enough to increase the fan speed, it should stay very low, and therefore quiet.
    I haven't let it get that hot. During normal operation the fan is quiet, but I can still feel hot air being vented if I put my hand against the vent. The temperature usually sits somewhere in the mid-fifties (Celsius).

After a suspend/resume I can't feel the fan anymore, and the temperature goes up to the mid-sixties just doing some simple stuff like browsing in Firefox, writing stuff in LyX, and the like.

If I do something more CPU intensive, such as encoding video in HandBrake, the fan normally gets louder almost immediately, and the temperature levels out somewhere in the high-seventies to low-eighties. After a suspend/resume, the fan doesn't get any louder, and the temperature just keeps climbing. I turned HandBrake off when the temperature hit ninety degrees without the fan showing any signs of spinning any faster.