Thread: Can't Trigger Grub Menu on LiveCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can't Trigger Grub Menu on LiveCD

I've had this problem since 12.04 was in beta: I can't trigger the display of the Grub menu when I boot off the LiveCD.

This is 64-bit 12.04 LiveCD, on a 64-bit machine in BIOS mode.

Holding down the Shift key dumps me to a "Boot:" prompt. Pressing Tab displays several options. One is "Help". That displays a list of function key options. They do not work.

Another option is "Mainmenu". Selecting that produces a complaint about a missing kernel.

Two other options are to boot the CD in Live or Live-Install mode. That is useless to me because the CD won't boot unless I can get to a Grub menu and add some kernel options.

I've been using the mini-iso, which has been problematic but at least not 100% useless.

What's going on here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Can't Trigger Grub Menu on LiveCD

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    What's going on here?
    The live CD uses isolinux, not grub.

Start booting from the live CD and you will soon see a purple screen with two small icons near the bottom of the screen - a keyboard and a stick figure. Tap any key - I usually use the space bar - select your language and the text menu will appear. Kernel options can be added with F6 if I remember correctly, but the function key choices are displayed at the bottom of the menu screen.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't Trigger Grub Menu on LiveCD

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    The live CD uses isolinux, not grub.

Start booting from the live CD and you will soon see a purple screen with two small icons near the bottom of the screen - a keyboard and a stick figure. Tap any key - I usually use the space bar - select your language and the text menu will appear. Kernel options can be added with F6 if I remember correctly, but the function key choices are displayed at the bottom of the menu screen.
    Thanks. I always thought that was just a throwaway screen since it displays no text to explain why it's there.

In any case, that's the last screen I see unless I do add the kernel options.