Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Ubuntu 12.10 LTS Root Password

Beans

Wink What's the Ubuntu 12.10 LTS Root Password

I don't know the root password, Please help.

if I want to authenticate sudo root, I got error with the password I give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: What's the Ubuntu 12.10 LTS Root Password

There is not a fixed standard root password. You establish that when you install your OS. If you don't know it, you will probably have to re-install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There is no root password by default. To use sudo, type the password you use to sign in if you installed the OS or have been put in sudoers
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Z View Post
    You establish that when you install your OS.
    Well, not a root password but it sure seems like it for all intents and purposes most users are likely to encounter.

On install, the login name created is a sudoer. There is no root password by default.

A sudoer can have "root-like" privileges or "become root" temporarily, but is not root. There is rarely, if ever, anything one might need to do while actually signed in as root as far as a normal user's needs go. So Ubuntu has no root password by default.

And you need not reinstall if you have forgotten your login password. But I don't think that is what you are asking, is it?
    Last edited by QIII; July 19th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by therack View Post

Make sure the caps lock is on/off, depending on how you created the password. You use the same (login) password for all authenticating.
    If using the terminal commands, be sure to use --sudo-- before each command, but not in front of the password. The password will not show in the terminal.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, all,

I want to disagree with most of these Posts.

Yes, there is no default root password, but circumstances can arise when you need one.

In one of my 12.04 LTS installations, after an Update, I needed to boot into a root terminal from recovery, only to be greeted with a demand for a root password, or to Press 'D' to return to the recovery menu. It would not accept my user password, despite multiple attempts.

Not getting any help from a Thread in these Forums, I eventually 'cured' it by making the root Password the same as my user password.

Whether that is the OP's problem I do not know, as he/she does not seem to have said why a root password is needed.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by therack View Post

Scroll about half-way down for info. The whole page is an informative read though.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: What's the Ubuntu 12.10 LTS Root Password

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, all,

I want to disagree with most of these Posts.

Yes, there is no default root password, but circumstances can arise when you need one.

In one of my 12.04 LTS installations, after an Update, I needed to boot into a root terminal from recovery, only to be greeted with a demand for a root password, or to Press 'D' to return to the recovery menu. It would not accept my user password, despite multiple attempts.

Not getting any help from a Thread in these Forums, I eventually 'cured' it by making the root Password the same as my user password.

Chao!, bogan.
    Searching the threads will call up extra help. But since you learned to fix it yourself--you'll never forget how you did it.
    Last edited by critin; July 20th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Beans

If you absolutely want a root password "su password" (I don't recommend this) then open a Terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo passwd
    and press enter. You will need to enter your own password then when it asks, type the new root password.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Oh, never mind. Note to self. Read carefully before responding.

Keeps one from feeling like an Equus africanus asinus.
    Last edited by QIII; July 20th, 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast