Thread: Tablet PC in the Future?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Tablet PC in the Future?

Quick question-does System76 have any plans to release a tablet PC any time in the future?
    By tablet, I don't mean like the iPad-I mean tablet PCs like what Fujitsu manufacturers-touch screen laptops.
    I have seen these come in handy in many medical practices, and after playing around with them, the only reason I haven't bought one yet is because of the price ($2000 for most decent models). Considering how well you can price laptops, I think you can make a tablet PC at a good price as well.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tablet PC in the Future?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Quick question-does System76 have any plans to release a tablet PC any time in the future?
    By tablet, I don't mean like the iPad-I mean tablet PCs like what Fujitsu manufacturers-touch screen laptops.
    I have seen these come in handy in many medical practices, and after playing around with them, the only reason I haven't bought one yet is because of the price ($2000 for most decent models). Considering how well you can price laptops, I think you can make a tablet PC at a good price as well.
    We don't have any plans for a touchscreen laptop right now. They are prohibitively expensive. Slate tablets are definitely on our radar, and we'd probably be looking into that first.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

ZaReason has a tablet computer, the ZaTab, for $349.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by GeneSalamin View Post
    ZaReason has a tablet computer, the ZaTab, for $349.
    This was what I had in mind:
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    This was what I had in mind:
    The Lenovo X series convertible tablet may work for you. I don't own it, and Ubuntu is not supported out of the box AFAIK, but I believe that the tablet capabilities of this laptop are available in Ubuntu.

I considered the X series myself, but decided to go with S76, mostly to show my support for a linux hardware vendor.

Beans

SmartQ T20 tablet can run Ubuntu from an SD card. $310

ASUS is selling an Ubuntu tablet in India. It's such a hot item there's no doubt that they will be expanding their sales.

spider