Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple's ordered to run ads in UK admitting that Samsung didn't copy the iPad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Apple's ordered to run ads in UK admitting that Samsung didn't copy the iPad

As someone mentioned above, no judge likes to hear his judgements criticised. If you don't like what the judge has said, you appeal. If you really want to whine and moan right away, get your lawyers to couch it in legalese.

I think Briss is looking good here. First he used the word "cool" in a non-temperature context, now he's hit Apple in a way that's really gonna pile on the humiliation. And maybe, just maybe, he's hinting that he doesn't like all the frivolous intellectual property claims being made by the tech companies?
    Last edited by t0p; July 20th, 2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: To add 3 words that didn't really need to be added - I got far too much spare time!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Apple's ordered to run ads in UK admitting that Samsung didn't copy the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    I think Briss is looking good here. First he used the word "cool" in a non-temperature context, now he's hit Apple in a way that's really gonna pile on the humiliation. And maybe, just maybe, he's hinting that he doesn't like all the frivolous intellectual property claims being made by the tech companies?
    I think he's actually just trying to have Apple respect the court's decision. Clearly one option was to fine them, but this actually is a more appropriate action.

If any paper prints untruths, it is normal for them to print a withdrawal when challenged. This request from the court seems to be the equivalent in a case that has great media interest and impact. Kudos to the judge for thinking outside the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    As someone mentioned above, no judge likes to hear his judgements criticised. If you don't like what the judge has said, you appeal. If you really want to whine and moan right away, get your lawyers to couch it in legalese.

THAT would be refreshing. And to someone like Apple or Microsoft to whom 7 digit fines are pocket change, being forced to eat Crow publicly might well be more effective.
    Last edited by kurt18947; July 21st, 2012 at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Wow. If Apple is really forced to release ads in the UK admitting that, it will be an international ticket for Samsung. They'll be able to take those Apple ads in any court in the world showing that Apple admitted they didn't infringe on their patents, and be let off the hook anywhere.

Maybe they'll appeal in the US after obtaining this evidence.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    For those who don't keep up with this as much as others, would you care to elaborate on reputation-damaging part?
    This: "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Apple totally destroys the reputation of the court with this comment. Good to see the judge taking steps to protect the reputation of the court.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    This: "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Apple totally destroys the reputation of the court with this comment. Good to see the judge taking steps to protect the reputation of the court.
    Ahh...okay.

I can't see an advert on their site yet though...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you want the real deal - the judgement is here http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resource...sung-apple.pdf

But - if you read the BBC page for this story then "The order did not feature in Judge Colin Birss's judgement published on 9 July, but Bloomberg said the matter was discussed in the court following the verdict."

so you'll not find any reference to it in there I assume.

Beans

Good public spanking.

BTW, here is what Steve Jobs said about 'stealing' when he was doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

The guy had no credibility when he said that he would go thermonuclear to destroy Android because it is a "stolen product".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can see Apple refusing to do this.

What would happen then?

Would they just have a non-compliance fine issued? Which would suit them with their deep pockets.

Personally I'm rather enjoying Apple digging their own grave with all these law suits for copyright infringement......it will come back to bite them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    If you want the real deal - the judgement is here http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resource...sung-apple.pdf
    From there: Mr Ball said the Apple design was strictly rectangular rather than just generally rectangular.

This is going to haunt me for a while

Edit:
    The informed user’s overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the
    following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design;
    but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family
    with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme
    simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool. The overall
    impression produced is different.
    There's quite a lot of reference to "the informed user".
    Last edited by vasa1; July 21st, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast