Thread: 12.04 Upgrade

Beans

12.04 Upgrade

How can upgrade from ubuntu 11.10 to ubuntu 12.04 from the terminal.

Beans

Re: 12.04 Upgrade

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

That is my understanding, it isn't working for me. I'm getting a Traceback error.

Normally I do the following:

Disable third party repositories.
    Edit my /etc/apt/sources.list from RELEASE-A to RELEASE-B
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That is not working for me now, either. I keep getting:

E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'python-minimal'.Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

Serves me right for not waiting until the point release in July to upgrade 10.04, but I actually WANTED Unity on that box (attached to my TV) rather than shunning it like the plague.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GnuSense View Post

That is not working for me now, either. I keep getting:

E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'python-minimal'.Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have this exact same problem. Any suggested solution?

Beans

I wasn't able to get past it, I'm afraid. I ended up backing up /etc and my package selections and reinstalling. It felt like a defeat, I've never not be able to upgrade an Ubuntu install before, though generally I've had problems. That said, I found that a new install was actually easier than an upgrade and resulted in a cleaner install. I've upgraded a couple of systems from Oneiric to Precise without any issues that I couldn't handle, but I'm waiting until the point release in August (12.04.1) until trying to upgrade my two other Lucid systems.

Beans

Good to know, GnuSense. I hate admitting defeat too, but I could spend even more hours on this and not even succeed in getting it fixed. I don't have very much on this box anyway, so a clean install is likely a better option anyway... If there's a point release in August, I might as well wait until then. Thanks for the response and advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That said, I found that a new install was actually easier than an upgrade and resulted in a cleaner install.
    I don't have very much on this box anyway, so a clean install is likely a better option anyway
    This is almost always the case. A fresh install these days takes like 15-20 mins. Then spend a little time installing your favorite programs. Upgrading can take a few hours and more often than not, there will be a few wrinkles to iron out afterwards.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds