Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 will not play mp4 non static files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy 12.04 will not play mp4 non static files

Good evening

I have an issue with playing mp4 files in the Totem Movie Player. A friend of mine, who is having this issue, asked me to check in my 12.04 installation. We both have 12.04 installed and are using the GNOME Classic Desktop. Our issue is: the Totem Movie Player does not play non static(ones that only have pictures of the artist, record covers etc.) mp4 files (music songs, Ancient Aliens tv series etc). Some music mp4 files it plays the music but picture, others no music and no picture.

They play fine in VLC player, GNOME MPlayer, SMPlayer. We have installed the Ubuntu-extras package as well as done the css.sh thing to get DVD movies to play, which do. Is there a codec that needs to be installed in 12.04? It works fine in 10.04.

I am hoping someone has some advise for me. I did a search on Google which did not yield any solutions.

Regards
    Philip

Beans

Re: 12.04 will not play mp4 non static files

May be related to this bug which prevent decoding of some h.264 encodings thru gstreamer
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...10/+bug/973014

No one wants to fix even though it is quite simple to do so

The best fix is to rebuild the 12.04 gstreamer bad plugin with patch I attached though there is a less than ideal temp workaround that can be also be used to test if you have affected files.

To test read comment 22, separate commands for 32 & 64 bit.
    You can revert by reversing the command

If affected I'd rebuild the plugin rather than moving the .so to a .bak or wait till Maybe someday officially fixed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: 12.04 will not play mp4 non static files

Hi mc4man

I had a look at your bug report. It appears to be the same as the issue I am having. Thank you for yr response. A question: would it work if I uninstalled the gstreamer that 12.04 is using and installed the one that 10.04 is using?

Regards
    Philip

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Gray View Post
    Hi mc4man

I had a look at your bug report. It appears to be the same as the issue I am having. Thank you for yr response. A question: would it work if I uninstalled the gstreamer that 12.04 is using and installed the one that 10.04 is using?

Regards
    Philip
    Likely not, 10.04 uses a different gstreamer version

( not that hard to re-build the bad plugin, can give you a copy & paste

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: 12.04 will not play mp4 non static files

Hi mc4man

Please do I will really appreciate. I am not that clued up on manually compiling packages. I tried it with Gimp 2.8 and a few others and I was not successful.

Regards
    Philip

Beans

There are several ways to patch/build, we'll do one pretty straightforward way.

Will be done in the same terminal but will be a couple of times when you'll need to browse to the build/source folder to do something, so when that happens leave the terminal open, that way you'll be at proper prompt for next command

The build will take a while, just let it go. It runs some tests, 1 will fail, doesn't matter, quite expected.

This is 1 optional thing - you can either build to the exact same package version as is now in 12.04 or slightly up the version. If leaving the changelog as is then you'll need to be careful not to upgrade back, a repo package is always seen as upgradeable over the same local built one.
    By adding a +nmu1 to package version it won't upgrade until the repo package goes to next version, (if it ever does..

So follow carefully, should be easy, will post some screens to refer to if need be

Open a terminal -
    Code:
    mkdir -p gstbad_build && cd gstbad_build
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep gst-plugins-bad0.10
    When that successfully completes then continue, if any issue resolve first

Code:
    apt-get source gst-plugins-bad0.10 && \
    cd gst-plugins-bad0.10-0.10.22.3
    Now download the attached patch, (r, click > 'save link as'), extract, open the folder & place both files in ~/gstbad_build/gst-plugins-bad0.10-0.10.22.3/debian/patches. You'll be replacing the 'series' file & adding the h264parse.patch file , see screen 1

*Optional*
    While in the source folder for above open /debian/changelog. Just append a +nmu1 to (0.10.22.3-2ubuntu2) as seen in screen 2, save & close text editor
    (this isn't a 100% proper edit, doesn't matter as you're only building for yourself, not publishing

Back at the terminal
    Code:
    dpkg-source --commit
    Should show this -
    :~/gstbad_build/gst-plugins-bad0.10-0.10.22.3$ dpkg-source --commit
    dpkg-source: info: patches are not applied, applying them now
    dpkg-source: info: applying h264parse.patch
    dpkg-source: info: there are no local changes to record
    If so then
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
    When build completes (hopefully, see screen 3), then
    Code:
    mkdir ../in && cd ../in
    Leaving terminal open at the in prompt, move just 2 packages into the in folder - screen 4
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad.....
    libgstreamer-plugins-bad....

Finish up at the terminal with
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Any issue let me know, just remember to leave the same terminal open from start to finish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mc4man; July 21st, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: 12.04 will not play mp4 non static files

Hi mc4man

Thank you very much for all yr help I will give it a go and let you know what happens.

Regards
    Philip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: 12.04 will not play mp4 non static files

Hi mc4man

Sorry for only getting back to you now. I have been sick with flu and then bronchitis. I have successfully created the two .deb files. I installed them and mp4 files now play correctly.

Thank you for yr assistance I really appreciate it.

Regards
    Philip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

Back at the terminal
    Code:
    dpkg-source --commit
    Should show this -

If so then
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
    When build completes (hopefully, see screen 3), then
    Code:
    mkdir ../in && cd ../in
    Leaving terminal open at the in prompt, move just 2 packages into the in folder - screen 4
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad.....
    libgstreamer-plugins-bad....

Finish up at the terminal with
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Any issue let me know, just remember to leave the same terminal open from start to finish
    When I get to the step where I run 'dpkg-source --commit' I get:
    Code:
    tail: cannot open `debian/debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
    dpkg-source: error: tail of debian/debian/changelog gave error exit status 1
    How can I fix this? While following the steps above, I had to use Synaptic to upgrade the ttf-mscorefonts-installer and install dpkg-dev. I also had to restart my computer after the power got turned off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vpc View Post
    When I get to the step where I run 'dpkg-source --commit' I get:
    Code:
    tail: cannot open `debian/debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
    dpkg-source: error: tail of debian/debian/changelog gave error exit status 1
    How can I fix this? While following the steps above, I had to use Synaptic to upgrade the ttf-mscorefonts-installer and install dpkg-dev. I also had to restart my computer after the power got turned off.
    You need to be at this prompt, was designed to to be done start to finish from the same terminal
    ~/gstbad_build/gst-plugins-bad0.10-0.10.22.3$
    If you were following exactly then this should get back to, open a terminal &
    Code:
    cd gstbad_build/gst-plugins-bad0.10-0.10.22.3
    Otherwise get to prompt quoted above as you can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast