Thread: AMD Radeon HD 6550D & Dual Montiors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thumbs down AMD Radeon HD 6550D & Dual Montiors

Hi All,

I'm wondering if you can help me out. I did a fresh install of 12.04 yesterday along with the AMD ATI/AMD Proprietary FGLRX graphics driver. I have two monitors. A 23" with a native resolution of 1920x1080 and a 19" with a 1440x900 resolution.

Yesterday, I was able to get both monitors running in their native resolution through the ATI Catalyst manager. This morning I booted and noticed my main display (23") was scaled to the resolution of the my secondary monitor. Trying to edit the display properties via Catalyst either results in Catalyst crashing or nothing. By nothing I mean the changes appear to take effect but when rebooting it reverts to both monitors being ran at 1440x900.

I should note that I'm unable to install the ATI/AMD post release updates from Additional Drivers it just errors out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: AMD Radeon HD 6550D & Dual Montiors

The post-release version causes problems for some users.

The "Additional Drivers" method of installation causes problems for some users.

Before exploring that, could you tell me if you are running the CCC in administrator mode? How did you install the driver?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The post-release version causes problems for some users.

The "Additional Drivers" method of installation causes problems for some users.

Before exploring that, could you tell me if you are running the CCC in administrator mode? How did you install the driver?
    Thanks QIII. Yes, I'm running Catalyst in admin mode. I installed the driver via the additional drivers dialog.
    Last edited by Big Dan; July 18th, 2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Goofy things sometimes happen with APUs and hybrid ATI/ATI graphics.

Could you paste the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf between code flags(click the # sign above)?

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro

Goofy things sometimes happen with APUs and hybrid ATI/ATI graphics.

Could you paste the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf between code flags(click the # sign above)?
    I'll post as soon I get Ubuntu back up and running. I hosed GRUB and had to use my Windows recovery disc to boot into Windows.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No problem. After you posted it I was going to tell you I'd have to look at it when I get home so I can take a look at my own and make some notes. Only Windows at work (and the cell phone I'm typing on right now while I wait for a test to finish running!)

Beans
    Distro

No problem. After you posted it I was going to tell you I'd have to look at it when I get home so I can take a look at my own and make some notes. Only Windows at work (and the cell phone I'm typing on right now while I wait for a test to finish running!)
    I wound up reinstalling Ubuntu and both monitors are working normally now.

Thanks anyway.