Thread: Avast in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Avast in Ubuntu 12.04

Anyone know about or recommend installing Avast anti virus software in Ubutu12.04 64bit? If neccessary how does one install Avast?

Beans

Re: Avast in Ubuntu 12.04

Avast has a .deb package on their web-page, you should be able to just download it, double-click on it and it should install.

Why do you need an AV software on Ubuntu. The only time you need AV software is when you are moving tons of files between Ubuntu and a Windows machine. Avast and the other AV programs don't look for "Linux viruses" at all, they only look for Windows viruses. Avast will not make your Ubuntu any more secure, it can only help Windows machines that may be sharing files with you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Avast has a .deb package on their web-page, you should be able to just download it, double-click on it and it should install.

Why do you need an AV software on Ubuntu. The only time you need AV software is when you are moving tons of files between Ubuntu and a Windows machine. Avast and the other AV programs don't look for "Linux viruses" at all, they only look for Windows viruses. Avast will not make your Ubuntu any more secure, it can only help Windows machines that may be sharing files with you.
    I was reading some articles about Ubuntu and some mention having Avast. I don't really want to use AV software if I don't have to. I understood that Linux is pretty much immune to viruses. At any rate I'm going to run Ubuntu without AV software.
    Thnks for the response.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickm1945 View Post
    I was reading some articles about Ubuntu and some mention having Avast. I don't really want to use AV software if I don't have to. I understood that Linux is pretty much immune to viruses. At any rate I'm going to run Ubuntu without AV software.
    Thnks for the response.
    The only way AV software on Windows can help with security is if you constantly keep the virus definitions up-to-date. However, if you are going to update, you might as well update your system and patch the vulnerability that the virus is exploiting. Effectively this kills the virus.

It is not that Ubuntu is immune to viruses, it is just that Ubuntu kills the viruses before they can do any damage. Just keep your system updated and you are safer than you would ever be in Windows.