In my experience, the following instruction from the main thread
Now convert your WPA ASCII password using the following command (' ' single quotes required):
wpa_passphrase 'ssid' 'ascii_key'
did not actually require single quotes. wpa_passphrase generated a different key when single quotes were used which was rejected by my router. removing the single quotes and generating the key again solved this for me.
i am using a netgear wgr614v5 wireless router with a netgear wg511 (version 1 made in taiwan) pcmcia card on an acer laptop.
My router is "Cell 02" in that list. I also use MAC filters, would that make an effect?Code:sudo iwlist scan lo Interface doesn't support scanning. eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning. eth1 Scan completed : Cell 01 - Address: 00:14:7F:58:E8:19 ESSID:"BTHomeHub-4543" Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Master Channel:6 Encryption key:on Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s 11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s Quality=29/100 Signal level=-82 dBm Extra: Last beacon: 272ms ago Cell 02 - Address: 00:03:2F:2B:71:6B ESSID:"<hidden>" Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Master Channel:11 Encryption key:on Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s 6 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s Quality=71/100 Signal level=-57 dBm IE: WPA Version 1 Group Cipher : TKIP Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP Authentication Suites (1) : PSK Extra: Last beacon: 520ms ago
I also managed to enable the front LED and when I used my earlier /etc/network/interfaces and rebooted, Ubuntu slowed at 3/4 of the way and resulted in the GNOME.DESKTOP error I mention, but the LED was solid i.e. connected
Everything looks fine to me. But beats me, I don't know what's going on. MAC filtering could be an issue but only if the registered MAC isn't the same as the one listed above (00:03:2F:2B:71:6B).
Have you turned roaming off?
I have a problem. I installed ubuntu in my machine and there's one problem. Wireless problem. The OS detect all the hardware perfectly and everything runs fine except for the wireless. The OS can detect wireless networks but could not connect to it. I attach together the screenshot and hopefully anyone can try to give me solution for this. Oh yes, the wireless was Realtek RTL8187. Thanks.
Oh, I'm sorry I will open new thread for this
Thanks houms, it was that rogue dns-nameservers that was causing all the problems. I'm not sure where I picked that up from, but I've been adding bits of things from all over the place over the last 2 weeks to get this working I hope it's not just all part of the learning curve!
I also have to use the network restart script for it to work (as described in post 2 here)