View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
811. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    550 67.82%
  • No

    104 12.82%
  • Somewhat

    157 19.36%
Page 83 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1832

Thread: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

  1. #821
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    3

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Have you noticed post #2? It might be the solution.
    I have written a script based on Post #2 (before I asked the question). This script has a loop in it abd will continue until the connection is made. I actually had to limit the looping since the laptop took a long time to connect. Connection is very intermittent, I am currently running the script for the second time (with a loop limit of 100) and it has still not connected.

  2. #822
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    6

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Tried Wicd. It wouldn't find the hidden network using any of the supplicant modes, unfortunately. I found on Wicd forum that when ndiswrapper is used, there are additional problems. I re-installed network manager, and I'm back on. I'll try to keep it simple by using network manager.

    I'll keep searching for what I need to do to get a hidden network listed, and maybe there'll be a way to store the WEP key too.

  3. #823
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    100acrewood
    Beans
    7,480
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Target2019 View Post
    Tried Wicd. It wouldn't find the hidden network using any of the supplicant modes, unfortunately. I found on Wicd forum that when ndiswrapper is used, there are additional problems. I re-installed network manager, and I'm back on. I'll try to keep it simple by using network manager.

    I'll keep searching for what I need to do to get a hidden network listed, and maybe there'll be a way to store the WEP key too.
    Hidden networks should not be an issue any longer in Feisty. You need to select "Connect to other wireless network..." however. Then type in the name and you are ready to roll.

  4. #824
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    3

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by lorenmcc View Post
    I have written a script based on Post #2 (before I asked the question). This script has a loop in it abd will continue until the connection is made. I actually had to limit the looping since the laptop took a long time to connect. Connection is very intermittent, I am currently running the script for the second time (with a loop limit of 100) and it has still not connected.
    I have gotten this to work more reliably, but it begs the question as to why this is occurring, possibly some startup sequence issue?

    I had to add the following to the loop in my script

    killall dhclient wpa_supplicant dhclient3
    rm /var/run/dhclient.*
    and now I can connect almost every time on the first loop (but not always).

    Any ideas?

    BTW, I have never gotten wicd to connect, this is the only method I have gotten to work (as in posts #1 and #2)

  5. #825
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    6

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Hidden networks should not be an issue any longer in Feisty. You need to select "Connect to other wireless network..." however. Then type in the name and you are ready to roll.
    I installed Wicd as you suggested. This uninstalled network manager. With Wicd I could not connect to hidden network using any of the supplicant modes.

    I re-installed network manager, which uninstalled Wicd. Now I have the "connect to other networks" item, and can manually enter SSID and WEP key.

    I am back to network manager, and wondering if there is a way to configure the hidden network and WEP key, so that I don't have to re-enter them each time I boot (or awake).

    Thank you very much.

  6. #826
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    100acrewood
    Beans
    7,480
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Target2019 View Post
    I installed Wicd as you suggested. This uninstalled network manager. With Wicd I could not connect to hidden network using any of the supplicant modes.

    I re-installed network manager, which uninstalled Wicd. Now I have the "connect to other networks" item, and can manually enter SSID and WEP key.

    I am back to network manager, and wondering if there is a way to configure the hidden network and WEP key, so that I don't have to re-enter them each time I boot (or awake).

    Thank you very much.
    I think you are looking for a tool called "GNOME Keyring Manager". There are a number of tutorials for it.

  7. #827
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    6

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    I think you are looking for a tool called "GNOME Keyring Manager". There are a number of tutorials for it.
    Thanks for that tip. Keyring Manager come into play after I open Network Manager and enter the hidden SSID and WEP key.

    Just tried something different. I re-booted, then opened keyring. Open network manager and enter the SSID and WEP. I was thinking that the WEP key, properly stored in keyring would auto-connect, but it doesn't seem to matter.

    I guess I'll have to search further for a way to configure this, or just wait for some improvements to ubuntu, or maybe a better wifi management app.

    I'll have to accept that there is no way to enter the required information to a network config file.

  8. #828
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    100acrewood
    Beans
    7,480
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Target2019 View Post
    Thanks for that tip. Keyring Manager come into play after I open Network Manager and enter the hidden SSID and WEP key.

    Just tried something different. I re-booted, then opened keyring. Open network manager and enter the SSID and WEP. I was thinking that the WEP key, properly stored in keyring would auto-connect, but it doesn't seem to matter.

    I guess I'll have to search further for a way to configure this, or just wait for some improvements to ubuntu, or maybe a better wifi management app.

    I'll have to accept that there is no way to enter the required information to a network config file.
    You did not find anything on the forums? I am sure I have seen something concerning it a while ago. I'll post if I find something tomorrow.

  9. #829
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    6

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    You did not find anything on the forums? I am sure I have seen something concerning it a while ago. I'll post if I find something tomorrow.
    I searched SSID + hidden + WEP, and found a few threads that confirm the problem.

    Finally cleared up the keyring problem by installing pam-keyring, so that my user login pass gets passed to keyring manager.

  10. #830
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    102
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    If you posted the contents of "/etc/network/interfaces" it would help a lot. I don't know if "DISABLED=1" is the right command at the moment.
    Hi, my etc/network/interfaces looked like this:

    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.1.2
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-ssid Toupe
    wpa-ap-scan 2
    wpa-proto WPA
    wpa-pairwise TKIP
    wpa-group TKIP
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-psk [MY HASHED PSK]
    I have a laptop and my wireless adaptor is an Intel pro 2200BG

Page 83 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •