View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
811. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

550 67.82%
  • No

104 12.82%
  • Somewhat

157 19.36%
Page 151 of 184 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1832

Thread: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ddcc View Post
    wieman01,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would prefer to assign a static IP, although
    getting the card working is the first priority. However, I have heard that
    network manager has a bug that prevents it from "remembering" the WPA2 key
    after a reboot. I would also like to ask which driver would be better in
    this case; the GPL driver provided by Ralink, or the Windows XP x64 driver
    through ndiswrapper.

I've commented out all the wlan0 lines in the interfaces file, installed wicd, and rebooted, however it still shows the wireless connecting, then dropping after a few seconds, then connecting again, etc.
    Honest answer? Go for "ndiswraper" and the Windows driver. Save you a lot of trouble...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

After spending a few more hours messing with both the Ralink and ndiswrapper, I've found that the only way I can get the wireless to work is with WEP or with no encryption; WPA or WPA2 just makes the wireless endlessly connect and disconnect. I've tried toggling all the settings on the router, but none make any difference. Especially since this is one of those new 802.11n draft wireless cards, I think that this problem is because it's too new, or the router is doing something strange with WPA, neither of which I can easily solve.

Since we originally bought the wireless because there was no more room on the back of the wired router, I think I'm going to move the wireless card to a Windows-only PC, and leave this Vista/Ubuntu as wired.

Thanks for your help wieman01

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Out of interest what signal strength do you get with your wireless adapter. I have a Ralink USB adapter and if strength drops below 50% I get disconnected (WPA2). I find my sig. strength between 69 to 90% is stable enough with 54Mbps on 802.11g standard (max.)

If you have Cat * cabling you could invest in another Ethernet switch and connect this to your Router's ethernet port to an auto X-over port or via crossover cable (1&3, 2&6 cross-over).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oddly enough, Windows shows it as 70-80, but in Linux it shows as somewhere around 50%. We do have CAT5 cabling, but I don't happen to have any of the cable crimpers (though I do have a few spare heads).

The reason we decided to go for wireless though, is that the router and modem are downstairs in the computer room, from which one port is plugged into the CAT5 cable, which is then connected to a CAT5 going to another room at the cable box. We originally considered moving all the equipment up into the cable box but there wasn't enough room, nor was there any documentation on how to get it working.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hookzilla View Post
    I think I've followed the guide but I can't connect. Any help will be appreciated.

System:
    P4 1500 mkz, 512 mb ram,
    Ubuntu 8.04 with updates
    DSL combo modem/router, SSID Broadcast off, WPA-PSK
    Trendnet TWE423PI pci adapter, Marvell 88w8335 chip set
    ndiswrapper using Mrv8000c Win98 driver
    Network Manager is installed (with O/S). I don't know how to deactivate it.
    EDIT: 7/11/08 - I removed Network-Manager using Synaptic. The only changes were that more networks were detected today.

Reference Information requested in the How-To:
    (I hope this formats OK)

user@user-Desktop:~$ route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
    default * 0.0.0.0 U 1000 0 0 wlan0

user@user-Desktop:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Sensitivity=-200 dBm
    RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

user@user-Desktop:~$ sudo iwlist scan
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:12:0E:7B:49:57
    ESSID:""
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
    Quality:51/100 Signal level:-63 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0
    IE: WPA Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
    Everything looks set to me. What wireless adapter have you got? You could also use Network Manager or WICD instead if you don't plan on using static IP addresses. I guess it would make things a lot easier for you.

Weird. It ought to work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ddcc View Post
    Oddly enough, Windows shows it as 70-80, but in Linux it shows as somewhere around 50%. We do have CAT5 cabling, but I don't happen to have any of the cable crimpers (though I do have a few spare heads).

The reason we decided to go for wireless though, is that the router and modem are downstairs in the computer room, from which one port is plugged into the CAT5 cable, which is then connected to a CAT5 going to another room at the cable box. We originally considered moving all the equipment up into the cable box but there wasn't enough room, nor was there any documentation on how to get it working.
    Question though... Is your adapter a USB one? Power supply could be the issue at hand. You could try an extra external USB power supply. That was the issue in my case a while back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, wiemon01, for the response.

Adaptor:
    I have a Trendnet TEW423PI (H/W Build B1) PCI adaptor using the Marvel 88w8335 Libertas chipset . I have installed ndiswrapper using the W98 driver Mrv8000c. I tried the WinXP driver but didn't see any difference. I forgot to add in my first post that mine is a WUBI installation. (Does that matter?)

Questions:
    I have looked at several HowTo's, and may have some clutter. Should I have both the /etc/networks/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf files? I think the wpa_supplicant.conf was from an attempt with ssid broadcast on. Should I delete the wpa_supplicant file? I tried resetting /etc/newtowk/interfaces for SSID broadcast, but that didn't work.
    Here are the files:

wpa_supplicant.conf
    ap_scan=1
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
    ssid="<ssid>"
    scan_ssid=0
    proto=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    psk="<asciipw>"
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    }

user@user-Desktop:~$ sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-driver wext
    wpa-ssid <ssid>
    wpa-ap-scan 1
    wpa-proto WPA
    wpa-pairwise TKIP
    wpa-group TKIP
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-psk <hex pw>

When I removed network-manager, should I have deleted just network-manager or all the setup files also?

I have tried wicd previously, so I may give that a try. Do I need to do anything with the previously mentioned files?

Once again, thanks very much for your time and support of this HowTo.

Beans
    Distro

hookzilla,

You don't need "wpa_supplicant.conf" if you follow this tutorial.

In order to try WICD or Network Manager, "/etc/network/interfaces" must read:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    Nothing else. After a restart you can try either of these tools.

I guess you don't have to remove NM if you run Hardy... not sure though. If you remove NM, the system does all the clean-up for you, there is no need to remove an other files yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

wieman01: No, it's an integrated PCI one.
    geezerone: I didn't consider signal strength before; it might very well be due to a weak signal. I'm going to move it closer to the AP and try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

wieman01

Once again, thanks for the suggestions.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu and tried Network manager (with ndiswrapper and the W98 driver) No luck. It showed the networks after a scan, bur would not connect. If I tried connecting using the NM applet, it at least showed the signal strength. However, it would not connect. I would enter the password and it would think a moment and ask for the password, etc.

I then installed wicd. Same thing - showed several networks, including mine. But it wouldn't connect. Also, once wicd was installed, everything got really slow.

I'm at a loss. The card connnects in WPA in WXP, so the card will handle WPA. I've tried both the W98 and XP drivers in ndiswrapper. I didn't see any difference.

One thing...My router is using channel 11. Do I have to specify that somewhere? I noticed that RUtilT has a place to set the channel. Unfortunately, is doesn't appear to handle WPA.

I really don't want to drop bask to WEP. I have another adapter (Belkin F5D7000 Rev 2 - Broadcom BCM4306(?)chipset) if you think that might be worth the effort.

Any suggestions? Are there any reports that might help?

Once again, thanks.

Page 151 of 184 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast