Thread: What is it for / How do I delete?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is it for / How do I delete?

Quick question about Xubuntu 12.04 at the start up screen...

What is the "Default Session" and the "Previously Used" sessions for, and how do I get rid of them? I like to keep my history clean, I'm just OCD about a clean computer lol.

There's some sort of thing where you can chose Xubuntu or XFCE sessions. I've tried both and I don't see a difference. But I'd like to clean out the sessions that are saved.

By the way, I don't know how to get a screen capture when I'm on those screens, so I grabbed my crappy cell phone camera... I hope these are clear enough to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S2UIRR3L; July 17th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
    I actually DO have a real life....
    I just forgot the password to it.

Beans

Re: What is it for / How do I delete?

I can't see your thumbnails any larger.

Only a guess. Open Settings>Sessions and Startup. Make sure that "Display chooser on login" and "Automatically save sessions on logout" are UNCHECKED.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've turned on and shut down my computer a few dozen times before I started getting the message in the second window... Regardless of which one I chose from the first screen (Xubuntu Session or XFCE Session), right after I submit my password to log in, I get the second screen.

What is it and how can I delete it and not see this again?

Last edited by S2UIRR3L; July 18th, 2012 at 02:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i think xfce session is a fallback option with less (if any) effects. i would suggets you keep it in case you might need it later.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Xubuntu session loads a bunch of Xubuntu specific stuff. XFCE session loads a more vanilla Plain Jane xfce. The xubuntu session has extra configurations.
    True freedom requires sacrifice and pain. Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Try

Settings - Settings Manager - Session and Startup - Session tab

at the bottom - Clear saved sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay cool... that solves my first question about the difference between the two... I'm just going to keep going with Xubuntu because it works perfectly fine.

Now, why are there two sessions in the second photo and how do I delete the non-Default one from my history? I don't want this list to keep growing longer.

I remember doing something when I was dual booting XP and Jaunty, every time it would update, the grub loader list would have like 6 different choices. Someone helped me to delete all the kernel things except for the one I was currently using and one older than that (as a fall back, I guess). Are these things in the list similar and do I really need a choice? I think it happened when one of the kids was messing with the computer and when they logged out, they had the "save session for future logins" ticked... How do I delete or get rid of the saved sessions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arochester View Post
    Open Settings>Sessions and Startup. Make sure that "Display chooser on login" and "Automatically save sessions on logout" are UNCHECKED.
    Guess what, this worked (thanks arochester). Now, I guess I won't care how many "saved sessions" are in the list, I'll probably forget all about them because I'll never see them again.

Still tho, if there "is" a way to delete previously saved "sessions" I'd love to know how to delete them for future reference and if someone I know (including my self) needs this info later.

Also, you guys were right between the differences between an Xubuntu session and an XFCE session on the start up (first photo). XFCE has all the settings you can tweak while Xubuntu resembles Ubuntu minimal menus and settings options. I'll stick with the Xubuntu choice, less to load.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S2UIRR3L; July 18th, 2012 at 08:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I actually forgot to mark this thread as [SOLVED] even tho I never did find out how to delete my history... But it's okay because I never see the screens anymore.

-Leo