Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Opinions About DejaDup Backup Tool

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Your Opinions About DejaDup Backup Tool

I also like using Deja Dup. It is simple and effective. You can set it to back up or exclude whatever you want. And it can backup to almost any common storage, including the cloud.

It is simple to use, but it is not a toy. It is just a simplified front-end to Duplicity, which itself is a simplified front-end for rsync and other standard OS tools.

It is not a disk imaging tool, but it is not intended to be. It backs up your files and folders and it does it well. What more do you need?

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Your Opinions About DejaDup Backup Tool

Thanks for having this discussion. I'm thinking of using DejaDup for backups but this thread is causing me to have second thoughts.

Has much changed or improved with DejaDup since this thread was last active?

Thanks!

Peace...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It can be a good tool, but I'm a bit hesitant with solutions like Deja Dup. The #1 reason why I am currently not using it is that it stores the back-upped data in a format that you can't easily access without having the software. I'm affraid that when I need my data it can't restore the backup. With my current setup (just rsync) I can view the backup location manually to see if it's all stored correctly and accessible. With Deja Dup there's just a bunch of archive files. On the other hand Deja Dup gives some neat version control for all files which my current setup doesn't provide.

Beans

I've used Deja Dup before and found it quite useful.

Today I just 'tar'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Tried it once, but I already had a backup scheme that was simply an rsync job in anacron. Deja Dup didn't seem to offer an advantages over this, and merely added a layer of obfuscation between me and the backups.

Beans

redo backup is decent, also check out ElephantDrive.com to create backups off your own infrastructure. (full disclosure I'm affiliated with ElephantDrive)

http://home.elephantdrive.com/linux/

Beans

DejaDup works fine for me.

Beans

Normally I backup my "important" files like movies and music to DVDs and USB sticks, but more than being interested in backup tools, I'm interested in appropriate storage media, since DVDs have limited life span...

What whould you recommend as a suitable storage media for usage with DejaDup or similair backup tools and what does it cost, approximately? I'm thinking of something like tape drives (large capacity and long lifespan) and removable hard drives - what is better?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Tried them all and it has to be Lucky Backup for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123