Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Network connections window is empty (still have network access)

Beans

Re: Network connections window is empty (still have network access)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergius14 View Post
    Sometimes I see the similar failure. It is unfrequent but happens once a while.

What I do to solve this is to kill the process and run it again from console.

killall nm-applet
    ./nm-applet&

(you can close the console and the applet shoud be still running).

It is so unfrequent and after several days suspending the laptop that I just do this to fix it.
    I, too, encounter this problem after my machine (running Ubuntu 12.04, gnome, fully patched) has been running several days, with at least one suspend/resume per day.

It's not troubling enough to me to reconfigure gnome, so I've instead implemented a daily cronjob to reload nm-applet. However, it would be nice to get this fixed, since it's most probably a buffer overwrite or similar someplace.

One caveat for our less-experienced correspondents: nm-applet is in /usr/bin, so './nm-applet &' above will work only if your working directory is /usr/bin. A more general solution is 'nm-applet &'.

I'll probably be upgrading to 12.10 this weekend. so I'll report back if this problem is fixed in 12.10.
    Last edited by lUomino; November 25th, 2012 at 04:44 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lUomino View Post
    I, too, encounter this problem after my machine (running Ubuntu 12.04, gnome, fully patched) has been running several days, with at least one suspend/resume per day.

It's not troubling enough to me to reconfigure gnome, so I've instead implemented a daily cronjob to reload nm-applet. However, it would be nice to get this fixed, since it's most probably a buffer overwrite or similar someplace.

One caveat for our less-experienced correspondents: nm-applet is in /usr/bin, so './nm-applet &' above will work only if your working directory is /usr/bin. A more general solution is 'nm-applet &'.

I'll probably be upgrading to 12.10 this weekend. so I'll report back if this problem is fixed in 12.10.
    I upgraded last Wednesday and stopped the cron job. Since then, I've put the machine to sleep and woken it up at least daily. Throughout, nm-applet has continued to work, so I'm calling this fixed, at least for me.

Beans

Alas, it appears that the problem still exists. So, I've re-enabled the cronjob and await a fix.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123