Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buy new laptop: lots of questions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Buy new laptop: lots of questions

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I don't want to get off subject, but could I ask one quick question, How do you measure boot time? Looks like you are splitting hairs.
    I don't know if he is splitting hairs. His numbers have a precision that his accuracy probably cannot match, but his point is that his laptop with the SSD boots in around 20 seconds whereas his desktop with the HDD boots in about 60 seconds (or approximately three times longer). Ubun2to will have to speak to his specific methodology of measurement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I don't want to get off subject, but could I ask one quick question, How do you measure boot time? Looks like you are splitting hairs.
    I just prefer to go from when the BIOS shows up, as it can be hard to keep track of when it goes into the OS boot, rather than the hardware startup. I do have the Grub boot menu on my powerhouse desktop, but I stop the clock for Grub until it clears that screen.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Was the I7 3612 CPU evaluated for the Pangolin or the Gazelle? It would have been the runt of the Ivy Bridge litter performance wise. But at 35 watts, I would think it would run cooler than than the other CPU's in the Ivy Bridge line and been less of a drain on the battery, but still be faster than the I5 line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    Was the I7 3612 CPU evaluated for the Pangolin or the Gazelle? It would have been the runt of the Ivy Bridge litter performance wise. But at 35 watts, I would think it would run cooler than than the other CPU's in the Ivy Bridge line and been less of a drain on the battery, but still be faster than the I5 line.
    They weren't. I can forward that down the pipe, though. It still uses HD 4000, which (IMO) is the big thing.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know that I am stating the obvious here, but purchasing a System76 laptop PC will guarantee that the latest version of Ubuntu 64 bit will work right out of the box. That was my major motivation to get my System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4). Installing the latest version of Ubuntu or any other GNU/Linux distribution on a notebook PC that is certified to run Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 is always problematic especially if it has dual GPUs such as AMD Crossfire or Nvidia Optimus technologies. In the end, it becomes problematic to install and run PC games for Microsoft Windows or Ubuntu using the Bumblebee Project and the optirun command. For most people, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 or the newest 4000 is good enough for most case usage scenarios. If you need super fast 3D hardware accelerated graphics, then purchase a desktop PC with the latest version of Microsoft Windows pre-installed.

I am glad that I bought my System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4). It has solved numerous hardware and software compatibility problems right out of the box for me which has saved me an enormous amount of time that I would have otherwise spent trying to troubleshoot highly localized problems. System76 does not sell the cheapest computers compared to the traditional PC industry, but you get what you pay for most of the time. For me, it was worth spending a little more than I had originally budgeted to get precisely what I wanted and needed. As of today, I have finally completed my full installation of software. Everything is installed and everything is properly configured. Everything works right out of the box with little to no fuss.

In April 2014, I will purchase my second System76 laptop PC. I plan to spend $2,000.00 USD or more. It will have most of the critical bells and whistles. I definitely recommend that the original poster check out the current System76 Gazelle Professional. It seems to be the best fit for his needs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123