Thread: Server Questions

Beans

Server Questions

Hey guys, was not sure where to post this, but I am having a hard time understanding how i see people making servers at home.

My goal is to have a file server at home, that anyone can connect too. I know how to set up the server, iam just not sure how to get like a .com or .org or something like that.

How to I access my server when i am not on my network, Is this something that i have to pay for or is there a free way of doing this.

I see videos, and how to's on the web, and they just make it seem so easy, they use things like server1.example.com (how did they get their .com).

I am most likely missing some major fact or something. I dont really know how to put it in words here, but I just want something that my friends and family can connect too. The server does not have to be accessed from anyone on the web, but just select few.

Can this be done for free, and if so..how do i do this

I dont need help with setting up the server, just the "domain" i guess is what i need help with..

Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Server Questions

Quote Originally Posted by pstonge View Post
    Hey guys, was not sure where to post this, but I am having a hard time understanding how i see people making servers at home.

My goal is to have a file server at home, that anyone can connect too. I know how to set up the server, iam just not sure how to get like a .com or .org or something like that.

How to I access my server when i am not on my network, Is this something that i have to pay for or is there a free way of doing this.

I see videos, and how to's on the web, and they just make it seem so easy, they use things like server1.example.com (how did they get their .com).

I am most likely missing some major fact or something. I dont really know how to put it in words here, but I just want something that my friends and family can connect too. The server does not have to be accessed from anyone on the web, but just select few.

Can this be done for free, and if so..how do i do this

I dont need help with setting up the server, just the "domain" i guess is what i need help with..

Thanks everyone.
    You have to pay for a domain name, from a registrar such as namecheap.

There are places that offer subdomains for free though.

A domain also points towards your ip address, so if you have a dynamic one, you will need a DNS updater to update the ip address earch time it changes
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.