Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    Baaahh, I knew they're only lazy, commercial guys. I doubt this will be as fast, hence
    I might not buy any but stick to cheaper ******* versions from ebay etc. if ever.
    Here's a question: are you a programmer? Because the way this "translation layer" is being portrayed is unfair. It seems that some people have the impression that OpenGL is being shafted here, which is just not the case. They're simply applying the common CS concept of indirection using a D3D-like API. That makes sense, because why would they go breaking what they already had?
    Check out the old blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

google translate is not very good on your post, hence I'm not sure what you mean.

I wanted to say that:"I might only buy native OpenGL games." I'm running RAGE etc. perfectly with WINE (and ******* steam). So why the heck should I pay more?

Beans

I'll try to rephrase what I said.

The difference between "native" OpenGL and Valve's translation layer is artificial. It doesn't exist. With a fully customized and optimized translation layer, there is essentially no loss in quality. L4D2 actually runs better through the translation layer to OpenGL on Ubuntu than in its D3D implementation on Windows.

I also don't see why you think you should "pay more", because you're not being charged extra for your Linux versions. But if you're adamant about it, well, your loss.
    Check out the old blog!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by V for Vincent View Post
    I'll try to rephrase what I said.

The difference between "native" OpenGL and Valve's translation layer is artificial. It doesn't exist. With a fully customized and optimized translation layer, there is essentially no loss in quality. L4D2 actually runs better through the translation layer to OpenGL on Ubuntu than in its D3D implementation on Windows.
    So, if that's different to Wine, they could/must give it back to the Wine project, good then.
    If I remember correctly Rage for Mac was sold as native, but it was only running on a Wine fork?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So, if that's different to Wine, they could/must give it back to the Wine project, good then.
    If I remember correctly Rage for Mac was sold as native, but it was only running on a Wine fork?
    Where have you heard that Valve is using Wine to do anything? From what I've heard, their translation layer is developed in-house, and I doubt they'll just give it away for free (much as I'd wish they would).

Beans

I don't know about RAGE, but Valve is not using a fork of Wine. Someone might have compared the solutions somewhere, but that would not be a fair comparison and it only creates confusion.

Simply put: the Source engine will run natively on Linux.
    Check out the old blog!

Beans
    Distro

So, you're saying that programmed in ******* D3D works, with Valve's layer, on all main OS?
    Interesting, but that's surely not done in some weeks. Hence it must be a Wine fork, unless otherways proven!
    Well ID had such years ago? As Doom etc. are opensourced, it might be derived from that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Only time will tell.
    However, with Valve being pretty pissed off at Micro$oft because of their Micro$oft Store, it's likely that EA & others will follow, which would in turn mean more games available for Linux than just Valve games.
    Either way, things are looking good!

Also, with the Surface Tablet Micro$oft is turning the OEMs against them.
    Window$ 8 could very well be the opportunity that Linux has been waiting for.

All I know is that I know nothing....

Beans

So, you're saying that programmed in ******* D3D works, with Valve's layer, on all main OS?
    I am not. Source doesn't use every single aspect of D3D, so they don't have to provide a translation for everything. They just need their engine to work.

Do some research, rather than just guessing.
    Check out the old blog!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sarys View Post
    I sure hope we get good games since I've been thinking to switch to Linux completely but my gaming background keeps me going back to win
    I agree completely with you on this one. Near everything in my house runs Ubuntu except for my Android phone and an old PPC.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast