Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

It seems it will only go beta at the end of the year, I am very interested on this thought, both as developer and a player.

Beans

Wow I'm excited for this. if the portal games come to linux, i'll probably buy them. not a very big fan of left4dead though. Also thought about a desktop backround of penguins in a hot tub. steamd penguins.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You may try doing that wallpaper, interesting arts and ideas start that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The day this comes out, I'll buy left 4 dead even though I have no interest in that particular game, just to show my support, and I'll buy a heck of a lot more games. I really do enjoy PC gaming, but I've gotten away from it because I got tired every update for wine OR for my games breaking things, and tired of having to wait months after a game's release to make sure it would work.

Beans

Have you guys seen the latest link posted on Phoronix? Most of it is your typical Larabel-bashing-Windows clutter, but Gabe Newell has stated that Valve is looking to get its entire catalog running on Linux. Now, obviously they're not going to port each and every game, but maybe they'll integrate application-specific versions of Wine - and they'll probably push for more ports, too.
    Check out the old blog!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by V for Vincent View Post
    Gabe Newell has stated that Valve is looking to get its entire catalog running on Linux. Now, obviously they're not going to port each and every game
    Most of Valve's present catalog is written on a single game engine, Source. As I understand it, normal Source games don't call any os functions directly, everything goes trough the Source engine. This means that once they have a complete, working port of Source, getting most of their games running (natively!) on Linux shouldn't take all that much time at all. This is what happened with mac -- every source title except for lost coast is now available on mac.

* the only exception is that all shaders need to be rewritten for OpenGL. But this was of course already done for mac.

Beans

Actually, I wasn't referring to their in-house titles. Newell says that he wants to make 2,500 titles playable, so I meant the entire Steam catalog.
    Check out the old blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, I wasn't referring to their in-house titles. Newell says that he wants to make 2,500 titles playable, so I meant the entire Steam catalog.
    Native? I can't see Activision, EA or Zenimax being agreeable to that one, somehow, unless Valve are prepared to pay out for porting and support. If I were Valve I'd concentrate on the smaller and indie publishers first and work up from there. I'd not be surprised to see the vast majority of the Steam catalogue under Linux powered via WINE, though. And that promises very variable results, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Sslaxx; July 26th, 2012 at 02:28 PM.

Beans

Does anyone know when Linux versio of steam will be out?

When it's out I need to buy game/s from there to support linux gaming =D

Beans
    Hidden!

It's really hard to beleive these would be native games. Why? They would have to a) remove custom DRM from many of the games(starforce, securom, gfwl) or b) port DRM to Linux too. More probable is porting games via a compatibility layer (wine like). I must say I like his plans

/edit: It looks like Serious Sam 3: BFE will be a Steam Linux launch title: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/25/se...nux-via-steam/
    Last edited by R33D3M33R; July 26th, 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast