Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BoogeyOfTheMan View Post
    Yes, but there is nothing wrong with offering closed source software on in an open source ecosystem. Its all about choice. If the fact that you dont have access to the source and cant redistribute it bothers you, dont install it.
    I couldn't agree more. I prefer open source software when available, but it's all about choice. There are certain applications which just don't have solid FOSS equivalents, and I'm more than happy to shell out the money to purchase good closed source software if it offers something I can't get with FOSS. The RAW image converter I use is closed source because I've tried every FOSS RAW image converter on the market, and none of them suit my particular needs. I don't have the slightest hesitation when it comes to shelling out the money for one that does suit my needs.

Gaming is no different. There are a few great FOSS games, and a lot of okay FOSS games, but the FOSS gaming community just can't compete with software developers that have huge budgets and paid programmers.

Best of all, my understanding is that L4D2 uses the Source gaming engine, which is the same engine used by MANY of Valves titles. Once that engine is ported, porting a large number of their best selling titles will be trivial.

Beans
    Hidden!

I kind of hope that the games I've already bought will receive Linux versions for free, but on the other hand I would gladly pay the full price for the Half-Life, Portal series, just to show how happy I am with their port for Linux. Too bad GoldSrc won't be ported. Half-Life 1 is one of the best games ever made.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Theres always HL1:Source
    You can have quality, price, or performance, but you can only choose two.

Beans
    Hidden!

TBH I would rather play original HL1 via Wine than native Half-Life 1: Source. There are no compatible mods for HL1:S and the port is extremely poorly done.

Beans
    Distro

I keep hearing people say that, whats missing from HL1:S, besides mods, that the native one has?

TBH, I wasnt as taken by HL as I was HL2. I dont know if it was the just the graphic fidelity or atmosphere in general, but I had to force myself to play through HL1 before I tackled HL2. And I couldnt stop playing HL2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by BoogeyOfTheMan View Post
    TBH, I wasnt as taken by HL as I was HL2. I dont know if it was the just the graphic fidelity or atmosphere in general, but I had to force myself to play through HL1 before I tackled HL2. And I couldnt stop playing HL2
    that's because you didn't play it when ti came out. if all you played before was doom2 and maybe quake and then this came down (first came the demo) with environment interaction, story, puzzles, sound and other special effects.... you would be blown away by it.

by the way, mods are quite important. not only there is a lot of them, but some are actually very good and got support from valve. The story of security guard trying to get out or Opposing force... and let's not even start various multiplayer mods from CS, DOD.... to coop mod.

the only thing that bothers me is their mutliplayer option. i mean i can have two keys, never updated them to steam. we could play easy over lan as keys are not needed there, but over internet... ugh i just couldn't get the two to connect.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

I completely agree with mastablasta. More than 10 years ago, Half-Life 1 was the best FPS ever and in my opinion it still is. If you play HL2 first and then HL1, you will probably think HL1 isn't so special, but the other way around, there is a different story. At least that's what I think.

I didn't enjoy Half-Life 2 as much as I did Half-Life 1. I played HL1 story a lot of times and I'm still enjoying every minute of it. I also played HL2 universe twice and it was great, but not anywhere near HL1. I don't know why it doesn't pull me into it as much as HL1.

@BoogeyOfTheMan: there are some mods for HL1 that are simply amazing addition to the original game: Azure Sheep, They Hunger, The Trap, USS Darkstar. They offer you hours of additional fun, but cost you nothing. I have gathered some of them here.

Beans
    Distro

I only have HL1:S, I only bought HL after watching my friend play 2 and thinking that I have to get in on that sh*t. (I was never a pc gamer until 05 or so when I finally got a pc working that could play anything modern). I bought the set that had HL1:S, HL2, CS:S, and HL2 Deathmatch. And after watching my friend play HL2 and being confused as to what was going on, I made myself play through HL1 just to get a feel for the story. I'm not saying I didnt like the game, it was amazing, but by the time I'd played it, there were many other games that took the concepts from HL1 and redid them/did them better.

I hope the mods for HL2 still work if/when they port it over. ZombiePanic:Source was fun as hell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by R33D3M33R View Post
    I kind of hope that the games I've already bought will receive Linux versions for free, but on the other hand I would gladly pay the full price for the Half-Life, Portal series, just to show how happy I am with their port for Linux. Too bad GoldSrc won't be ported. Half-Life 1 is one of the best games ever made.
    Well if you had them on Windows when the Mac client you got them for free so i've no doubt they will also be free for Linux users, as one of Steam big things is "Steamplay" which is where you buy once and if it's available on the other platforms you get it.

I am almost certain that will be the case.

Think this thread should get stickied?

Beans
    Distro

I kind of think that will be the case as well. I mean, if you bought Portal 2 for PS3, they gave you a download code for Portal 2 on Steam. Even though it was cheaper on Steam when I bought it, and I could have gotten a used copy for much cheaper, I paid full price for that bad boy on PS3 just because I wanted to be able to play it on my PC if the urge struck me.

As to the sticky question.... I dunno. This thread is mostly filled with specualtion and talk of how awesome it will be. I'd rather a sticky be just full of facts. But thats just me.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast