Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Wow. That sounds great. ^^ Hopefully we can get more game related teams and companies to start bringing more games into development so I can have one less reason to use Windows. ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been waiting for this announcement since September 12th 2002. I just hope this will happen sooner rather than later, and that games will start getting ported.

The actual Steam platform being available is nice and dandy, but the platform itself is like the Valve version of the Software Center. But... I am SUPER PSYCHED about the fact that Valve are looking to commit to this!
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

I'd want to see Team Fortress 2 on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by snowz View Post
    i'd want to see team fortress 2 on ubuntu :d
    +1
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The main thing that I'm wondering is whether or not the games that you've already purchased for Windows/Mac Steam will automatically be added to your account when you get the Linux client (ex: Portal 2 on PS3 comes with free Steam Portal 2 code), or if you'll have to 're-purchase' everything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvari View Post
    The main thing that I'm wondering is whether or not the games that you've already purchased for Windows/Mac Steam will automatically be added to your account when you get the Linux client (ex: Portal 2 on PS3 comes with free Steam Portal 2 code), or if you'll have to 're-purchase' everything.
    Yes Steam has what they call "steam play" which is if it's on mac and windows you get access to both. So Linux will be included in that.

Not confirmed but I'm pretty certain that will be the case as your games are tied to your account not your platform of choice.

So we will hopefully see the masses of indie games already on Linux in on it, so Steam should have a pretty decent Linux game library.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by snowz View Post
    I'd want to see Team Fortress 2 on Ubuntu
    I'm surprised they didn't port this first. It's hats and keys empire bring insane amounts of money to Valve.

Beans

AMD should work with them for their APU drivers.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    AMD should work with them for their APU drivers.
    It would also be nice if all of the GPU makers were so open minded. (pun intended)

With the exception of a few specialty items and few of the latest WiFi adapters, there is very little out there in the way of hardware that doesn't play nice with Ubuntu. Video drivers are junk across the board. FOSS video drivers are pretty close to useless for any real 3D applications, and the closed-source drivers that play nice with games are deeply problematic.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast