Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

The BETA might launch during UDS.

Steam fans will want to keep an eye on next weeks Ubuntu Developer Summit.
    As well as Valve rocking up on the event for a talk at the summit on Monday, an interesting listing has popped on the ‘Open Steam Works’ site titled “Steam Linux UDS Beta”.
    Three games appear to be listed for inclusion with the UDS beta:

• Serious Sam 3
    • Portal
    • Team Fortress 2

Valve announced earlier this month that an external Linux beta, limited to 1000 users, would appear in October. This client seems to be sparate from that (not least because it lists 3 game titles rather than the 1 Valve said would come with the regular beta).
    But whether exclusive to UDS attendees or not, what better place to launch one of the biggest software arrivals in Linux history than at one of the biggest gatherings of Linux developers?

Source: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/v...ux-beta-at-uds
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Finally it can be goodbye windows for me as long as they port Counterstrike over both CSS and the new CS:GO can't see why they wont though

Beans

Smile Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

The STEAM BETA SURVEY is now LIVE! GO GO GO! http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Boy Bubby View Post
    Finally it can be goodbye windows for me as long as they port Counterstrike over both CSS and the new CS:GO can't see why they wont though
    Unfortunately, I still have to open a VM to watch Netflix. But this is a big step towards complete independence from Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    The STEAM BETA SURVEY is now LIVE! GO GO GO! http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php
    I wish Linux users flood their survey with millions of applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, there's been my submission at least.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moocow1452 View Post
    Absolutely, PC and Console Markets are slamming together faster than two very fast things, and you can market a Linux box similar to the Nexus line of Android phones, for both PC and Console benchmarks. So Valve can now compete with Microsoft on the box to television and monitor fronts, so they take up the Hardcore gaming gauntlet that Microsoft has cornered, and be the undiluted living room experience they always wanted to be. Only questions I have is this means anything for Netflix on Linux, since Valve can run make and break their own deals, and how to deal with Valve time on this project when there is a blog that documents everything they do. That and Source Filmmaker on Linux would be epic sauce on Linux. Blender can only get you so far.
    The console market & pc gaming market has always been in the same market. Gaming. They compete with each other back and forth. Mostly with pc gaming(including mac & linux) market being better all around. Consoles have always been mid range to low end gaming pc's on launch. They where a way of making computers with a specific goal cheaper, and that is it. So they have always been a means of attempting to be like the pc's

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    I wish Linux users flood their survey with millions of applications.
    I would love that, yes! Then again, I wish they would have already done that with the Steam Linux Group and the GOG Linux Request.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I applied last night. will be testing using Ubuntu 12.10. My pc specs are not high end but will hopefully give them a more 'real world' benchmark. (CPU = Core2Duo E6750 2.66 GHZ, Ram = 4 gig DD2-400, GPU = 1 gig Geforce 440 GTS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by willbe1kenobi View Post
    I applied last night. will be testing using Ubuntu 12.10. My pc specs are not high end but will hopefully give them a more 'real world' benchmark. (CPU = Core2Duo E6750 2.66 GHZ, Ram = 4 gig DD2-400, GPU = 1 gig Geforce 440 GTS)
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that they were looking for a range of different hardware configurations. Good luck getting picked, I'm impatiently waiting to see if I do.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast