Thread: Different ways of getting Gnome classic which one?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Different ways of getting Gnome classic which one?

Ok I am searching for a way to get the old Gnome style. I have found three searching around.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    But with gnome-shell I don't see any bottom panel for seeing open windows.

Which one is best?

All three look like it would keep Unity and just be able to log into a different shell. Is there a way to install unity and download classic panel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Different ways of getting Gnome classic which one?

The first option (gnome-session-fallback) is the way to go.
    gnome-panel is just the panel application without all the additional gnome applications.

When ever you install an additional desktop (like gnome-sessions-fallback) it doesn't erase the other desktops (in your case Unity) but is added. You can remove Unity separately. However, why would you want to? Maybe one day you would want to use it again and then all you need to do is log out, change in the preferences icon to the desktop you like, and log in again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OM55 View Post
    The first option (gnome-session-fallback) is the way to go.
    gnome-panel is just the panel application without all the additional gnome applications.

When ever you install an additional desktop (like gnome-sessions-fallback) it doesn't erase the other desktops (in your case Unity) but is added. You can remove Unity separately. However, why would you want to? Maybe one day you would want to use it again and then all you need to do is log out, change in the preferences icon to the desktop you like, and log in again.
    Thank you for your reply, I am going to install it now.

Does unity take up much space?

Beans

As an aside, installing gnome-core will also get you the Gnome interface that looks very similar to the look and feel of older Gnome-I much prefer this one.

Install it and at the login, you will have choices for regular Gnome and Gnome Classic with and without effects. This makes 12 feel more like the old 10 I knew and loved .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by digital_k View Post
    As an aside, installing gnome-core will also get you the Gnome interface that looks very similar to the look and feel of older Gnome-I much prefer this one.

Install it and at the login, you will have choices for regular Gnome and Gnome Classic with and without effects. This makes 12 feel more like the old 10 I knew and loved .
    I missed your post, I just downloaded "gnome-session-fallback" I don't think I can do both, the login names being the same.

I haven't clicked around yet and I already like it better. Kubuntu (KDE) runs smoother (On my computer anyway!) then Unity and thats with a bunch of effects running. Kubuntu runs smooth, I don't see why Unity is so sluggish.

Beans

I have tried to like Unity, but it's not happening for me. lol DO.NOT.WANT.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you have responsiveness issues, you can always try the "Gnome classic (no effects)". It will work even smoother, but then you give up some of the basic and nice effects of the desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OM55 View Post
    If you have responsiveness issues, you can always try the "Gnome classic (no effects)". It will work even smoother, but then you give up some of the basic and nice effects of the desktop.
    Well like I said above Kubuntu has more effects and "Eye candy" and it runs smooth, Ubuntu with Unity is slugish, gnome Classic with effects ran smooth.

gnome-core is a little different then I thought it was. It alomost looks like it is were they got the idea for Unity.