Thread: transferring music to iPod nano-- problems

Beans

transferring music to iPod nano-- problems

Hello all. I was given a 6th gen iPod nano recently and wanted to transfer some music to it. So I plugged it in, Rhythmbox opened and asked me to format it and I dragged and dropped some music onto it. Simple enough. rhythmbox showed there being music on the ipod. then when I went to walk to work there was no music on it. I plugged it in when I got home and Rhythmbox asks to initialize it again but gives an error message "unsupported checksum type." gtkpod gives the same error message.

So it looks like I need to reformat it and find a program that will actually sync to it. any ideas?

Beans

Re: transferring music to iPod nano-- problems

There are lots of apps which are supposed to work with apple family of products. However, I haven't found one which works properly.
    The best solution for you is to use windows. Either in dualboot mode.. or vitrual env.

Beans

Alternatively you could install PlayOnLinux it'll install WINE with a GUI front-end.
    Making the transition to install a few Windows programs on top of Ubuntu.

Such as iTunes and various other programs that might support the iPod if the pre-existing ones aren't working for Ubuntu.

Beans

I would try with Banshee instead of Rhytmbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I had to use a VM to get my iPod to sync. Apple purposely makes it so any unsupported software will have a hard time syncing with it.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One of the solution for Ipod sync is to use the proprietary software SPOTIFY

http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/