Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad W520 not booting with Nvidia card enabled

Beans

Lenovo Thinkpad W520 not booting with Nvidia card enabled

Hi, I have a very annoying trouble with the nVidia card and ubuntu:
    with my laptop I can switch in the BIOS between discrete graphics, integrated graphics and nVidia Optimus... All worked fine, but since a couple of days my ubuntu doesn't boot if I choose the nVidia card, i don't understand why. During the boot process, it stop itself at this moment:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1...0507150438.jpg

I also tried to make a clean reinstall (thinking it was a bad configuration/absence of drivers) but with no results...

Another thing i observed is that if i boot windows (with Optimus enabled), I plug in my monitor and before to shut down i choose on windows "Disconnect projector" then ubuntu will boot for one time with the Discrete Graphics... if i reboo fom ubuntu I still have the same problem...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin - 64bit
    Lenovo ThinkPad w520 Intel Core i7-2760QM (2.40GHz), 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Nvidia Quadro 2000M (2048 MB) + Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Optimus), 720p Webcam, VGA, DisplayPort, FireWire 400, USB 3.0, Bluetooth, WWAN ready, Wi-Fi, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300, ExpressCard 34, LAN

Beans

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad W520 not booting with Nvidia card enabled

Did you manage to get it working - I'm about to reload with 12.04 64bit - will I be sorry I did?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad W520 not booting with Nvidia card enabled

I have a ThinkPad T420 and I leave the discreet graphics option selected in the BIOS 100% of the time. Dual booting with Windows 7 doesn't cause any issues. It might have something to do with switching back and forth between the modes in the BIOS.