Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precise Gnome classic top panel problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Precise Gnome classic top panel problem

The problem is that when in Gnome Classic I open any window, the top of that window is under the top panel and in order to do anything
    with it I have to first press ALT and click on it to bring it down.
    I have heard this was an initial bug that was corrected before Precise was released
    Also in Gnome Classic it forces me to press ALT+Super+right click on the top panel to do anything with it.
    I have been told I should just have to press ALT+Right click.

Not sure what to do to fix this and if anyone has any idea I would much appreciate it!
    Last edited by Cavsfan; July 16th, 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: correctly stated the problem.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Precise Keyboard Input Methods error

The bottom of windows like Firefox also go below the bottom panel too. I don't think that is supposed to work that way either.
    So, it is both the top and bottom panels that allow my windows to go behind them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Precise Gnome classic top panel problem

Title changed per OP.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    The problem is that when in Gnome Classic I open any window, the top of that window is under the top panel and in order to do anything
    with it I have to first press ALT and click on it to bring it down.
    I have heard this was an initial bug that was corrected before Precise was released
    Also in Gnome Classic it forces me to press ALT+Super+right click on the top panel to do anything with it.
    I have been told I should just have to press ALT+Right click.

Not sure what to do to fix this and if anyone has any idea I would much appreciate it!
    Regarding the ALT+Super key+Right click on the top/bottom panel - that's how Gnome Classic menu works in Ubuntu 12.04. So it is not a bug but a feature. We can argue if the addition of the Super key to the key sequence it was really needed... but regardless, that's how it works now.

As for the window being hidden below the panels - I assume you selected to auto-hide your panels, right? As a resuls the size of the viewable screen is the entire visible area, including the panels. Since the panels are "always on top", if a window is occupying the same area as the panel when the panel is visible, the panel will cover it until a key-press or mouse click outside the panel wilk hide the panel.
    However, it could also be a video driver issue. Make sure that your video driver is working properly. You can also try to instal CompizConfig and adjust the settings. If there is no effect it is very likely that your video driver is not working and you are in basic video mode - hense the display issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OM55 View Post
    Regarding the ALT+Super key+Right click on the top/bottom panel - that's how Gnome Classic menu works in Ubuntu 12.04. So it is not a bug but a feature. We can argue if the addition of the Super key to the key sequence it was really needed... but regardless, that's how it works now.

As for the window being hidden below the panels - I assume you selected to auto-hide your panels, right? As a resuls the size of the viewable screen is the entire visible area, including the panels. Since the panels are "always on top", if a window is occupying the same area as the panel when the panel is visible, the panel will cover it until a key-press or mouse click outside the panel wilk hide the panel.
    However, it could also be a video driver issue. Make sure that your video driver is working properly. You can also try to instal CompizConfig and adjust the settings. If there is no effect it is very likely that your video driver is not working and you are in basic video mode - hense the display issue.
    I was told that ALT+Right Click is supposed to work and that ALT+Super+Right Click was changed to ALT+Right Click before RC.

See this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=105

Also, the problem I am having is not normal. I posted this on the Precise known bugs and workarounds thread and
    was told to open my own thread as this is none of that.

See this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=101

I have Lucid still installed and it never let windows go behind the panels.
    This setup will allow the windows (any) to go behind both the top and the bottom panels.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; July 16th, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have Nvidia driver 295.49 installed from installation and have not messed with it. I also have CCSM installed,
    Cairo Dock with open gl and all the niceties and it all runs fine.
    I don't think the driver is the problem. I have seen no problems related to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm on Lucid now and no windows e.g Firefox will go behind the top panel but, they will slip below the bottom panel.
    But, once it is set to open in between the two panels, it will do so when subsequently opened and closed to the exact same place.
    In Precise, any window e.g. Firefox will open flush against the top of the screen behind the top panel.
    And every close and open after that will open in the exact same place requiring pressing ALT+ right mouse click to pull it down.
    One would think it would act like Lucid in that once it is set to a certain spot, it would open in that spot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Received some updates today and one was gnome-panel. Installed and rebooted.
    Now, a window will open under the top panel but, once brought below it, it will not go behind it.
    Some improvement.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I have it corrected. I did a fresh DL of a 12.04 64 bit ISO and did a clean install. (sigh)
    Then after much time trying to get it back like it was, I just happened to see in CCSM Window Rules.
    I enabled it and beside Below I entered top_panel and that seems to prevent windows from opening underneath the top panel in gnome class.
    I just took a wild guess at top_panel but, it seems to work after restarting.

I will give it a few days and if all stays fixed, I will resolve this thread.

Using Ubuntu is easy, administering it is sometimes pure heck! There are so many possibilities and places things can be hidden.
    The simplest thing can cause major head aches. But, it is still better than any other system I have found yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast