Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start programming?

Beans

How to start programming?

Hello,

I would like to start learning to program, I've been interested in it for a long time but I've just not been able to teach myself. It's hard to self teach. I also don't know what language to start with or which, if any, is the best/easiest for beginners. Also, I'm not sure if it changes anything, but I have a Windows partition on my computer if its easier to program there.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to start programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Divisi View Post
    Hello,

I would like to start learning to program, I've been interested in it for a long time but I've just not been able to teach myself. It's hard to self teach. I also don't know what language to start with or which, if any, is the best/easiest for beginners. Also, I'm not sure if it changes anything, but I have a Windows partition on my computer if its easier to program there.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I started with Python and fell in love, cause you can use basic english composition to write things as in the phrase

Code:
    print "Hello"
    actually prints "Hello"

Where as in Java, which is what I am also familiar in

Code:
    import java.util*

System.out.println("Hello");
    Would print "Hello"

Now, don't be deterred, once you get one language it's just all syntax and the same logic can be applied on how to use object vs procedural language. When you first start out you will learn procedural, as in, one thing at a time, like a recipe; rather than a goal, or something with a lot of stuff. Some GREAT sources I like are the documentations for languages, as well as learning sites.

Something I used when I was first starting was projecteuler.net/ which teaches you how to solve certain problems using programming and it teaches you how to do new math things, which in my opinion is the back bone of all programming and computations.
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Different programming languages do different things so I'd say it depends on what you want to program. You can start by reading the stickies in the Programming Talk section. This topic has been asked a million times, I've even asked this topic, and was suggested what I've suggested to you.

Here are some sites to check out:

Last edited by Shadius; July 16th, 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added Code Year
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Different programming languages do different things so I'd say it depends on what you want to program. You can start by reading the stickies in the Programming Talk section. This topic has been asked a million times, I've even asked this topic, and was suggested what I've suggested to you.

Here are some sites to check out:

I WISH I could have seen Code Academy before I started college
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    I WISH I could have seen Code Academy before I started college
    Me too!
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Me too!

Where about's do you attend?

Beans
    Distro

Where about's do you attend?
    I've recently graduated from CUNY Queensborough.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've recently graduated from CUNY Queensborough.
    Nice! I am currently a second year (not quite a sophomore cause I am behind) at the University of Oklahoma

Beans
    Distro

Nice! I am currently a second year (not quite a sophomore cause I am behind) at the University of Oklahoma
    I noticed you put up a link to Project Euler. I'd like to give that a try. How does it work exactly? You're given a problem to solve on your own?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I noticed you put up a link to Project Euler. I'd like to give that a try. How does it work exactly? You're given a problem to solve on your own?
    It's wonderful, you get badges for completing a problem, and yes, it might be like, such and such is the Fibonacci sequence, what number is this minus this etc etc, and you can solve it however you want, and then post how you solved it. Most people (and I mean like, everyone on there) uses programming languages and after you solve it you can see how other people solved it. It's fantastic and expands you knowledge on so many levels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast