Thread: Help with installing Mono 2.8?

Beans

Question Help with installing Mono 2.8?

I'm trying to run this screensaver through Wine, but I'm having troubles. When I try to run it through Terminal, I get this:
    Code:
    alex@kubuntu:~/Bad Apple screensaver$ wine *.scr
    err:menubuilder:init_xdg error looking up the desktop directory
    wine: Install Mono 2.8 or greater for Windows to run .NET 4.0 applications.
    This actually happens with any program that is a .NET 4.0 application. I tried installing Mono 2.8 using Winetricks but when I select it to install I get an error message saying "dotnet40 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor". It then opened ~/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40 in Dolphin and opened http://www.mediafire.com/?v8rw5h1ra7maod4 in Chromium, and told me "Please download gacutil-net40.tar.bz2 from http://www.mediafire.com/?v8rw5h1ra7maod4, place it in /home/alex/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40, then re-run this script". After I finished all the instructions and the .NET 4.0 installer ran, it said I already had that or a newer version installed! So why do no .NET 4.0 applications run? I'm pretty sure they ran on my previous install (Kubuntu 11.10, now I'm using 12.04)... Can anyone help with this? There are so many programs that aren't working for me because of this error.

Beans

Re: Help with installing Mono 2.8?

It turns out that my Wine thinks it can't run ANY .NET applications (.NET 2.0 fail as well). The package "mono-common" is installed, and I can't remove it to try to install the official one here.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    It turns out that my Wine thinks it can't run ANY .NET applications (.NET 2.0 fail as well). The package "mono-common" is installed, and I can't remove it to try to install the official one here.

Any suggestions?
    You're confusing Mono for Windows and Mono for Linux.

For Wine, you care about Mono for Windows.

At any rate, try updating to Wine 1.5 - it has MUCH better support for running .NET apps, and will show you a popup offering to download, install & integrate Mono for Windows on first run.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    You're confusing Mono for Windows and Mono for Linux.

For Wine, you care about Mono for Windows.

At any rate, try updating to Wine 1.5 - it has MUCH better support for running .NET apps, and will show you a popup offering to download, install & integrate Mono for Windows on first run.
    This is what I got:

And yet when I try "wine some_.net_program.exe" I still get an error saying I have to install Mono 2.8 to run .NET 40 (or 20) applications.