Thread: How to stop volume returning to 100% after restart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to stop volume returning to 100% after restart

Every time i restart ubuntu (12.04) i find that the sound menu has jumped back to 100% volume. Is there a way to keep it at the same level as when i logged out as it scares the crap out of me every time i play music cause i keep forgetting about it

Beans

Re: How to stop volume returning to 100% after restart

same bug here really stupid bug blasts out at maximum volume because its not the first thing you remember when you reboot. kids get woken up if late at night, scares the crap out of the neighbours. just stupid sort it out ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by georgezenios View Post
    same bug here really stupid bug blasts out at maximum volume because its not the first thing you remember when you reboot. kids get woken up if late at night, scares the crap out of the neighbours. just stupid sort it out ubuntu.
    It's very frustrating. I have found that it happens across different desktop enviroments, xfce, gnome shell and unity. Is this specific to Ubuntu?

Beans

If this is related to alsa, there may be things you can do with 'alsactl store' and 'alsactl restore' (at least it seems to have fixed the opposite problem for me - max volume becoming subliminal on reboot)

Basically you use 'alsactl store' when you've got everything set up to the levels you want, then arrange to run 'alsactl restore' on startup - either:

1. system wide (i.e. all users) you can use

Code:
    sudo alsactl store
    one time, which creates a default state file /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, and then put

Code:
    sleep 10 && alsactl restore
    somewhere before the final 'exit 0' statement in /etc/rc.local (I read somewhere that the 'sleep 10' is there to make sure pulseaudio has finished messing with things)

2. per user

I haven't tried this but it should be possible to run an equivalent command in ${HOME}/.config/autostart - in that case you will probably need to give it a state file location somewhere in your home dir and pass that to both the 'store' and 'restore' commands - there is likely a 'correct' place for that but I don't know what it is

Hope this gets you started

Beans

Hi guys i am new Linux user and I found this problem too, Im using Ubuntu 12.04. Is this is fixable I mean how to get rid of it till update come ?

Sorry for my English.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I get:

alsactl: get_control:259: Cannot read control '2,0,0,Mic Capture Volume,0': Invalid argument

When I try to run it

My problem is that whenever I boot, my sound is muted and my volume is back to 50%. I just want my volume levels to stay how they were when I rebooted.
    Last edited by BoogeyOfTheMan; July 20th, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarify
    You can have quality, price, or performance, but you can only choose two.