Thread: How do I change video cards and get Ubuntu working again.

Beans

How do I change video cards and get Ubuntu working again.

I have a machine with a and old nvidia geforce 6150 in it, running the latest prop. drivers, and I can only seem to get Unity 2D running.

I have a Gigabyte Geforce GTS 250 card spare. I tried it in the machine, but Ubuntu booted to command line only, so I have removed it again temporarily, to seek advice.

I have googled some info about recovery mode. Does that use some default video driver that will get me going, and then can I install the correct driver somehow? I haven't done this before, so what is the best procedure when changing video cards like this, to get the graphical desktop going again.

Beans

Re: How do I change video cards and get Ubuntu working again.

The easiest way for a newbie is to remove proprietory drivers before you change a vidio card. Then boot with a new card and install them again.

The other way is to boot into console with the new card and remove prop. drivers
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    Then reboot. If xorg does not start install prop drivers
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Beans

I will try removing the drivers first. Thanks.

Beans

I had some success! With the new card in place, and no nvidia drivers, I have a Unity desktop (not 2d), which means better graphics (faster too). However, if I install nvidia-current, it will not boot to graphical mode at all.

The system info detail reports driver "Gallium 0.4 on NV92" and experience as standard, still it's better than before.

Now to find out if there's an nvidia driver that will work.

Beans

1. Try to purge nvidia as I mentioned before and then install again. Some settings from the old card ramain and cause problems.
    2. You may try newer nvidia drivers from x-swat

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot6 View Post
    1. Try to purge nvidia as I mentioned before and then install again. Some settings from the old card ramain and cause problems.
    2. You may try newer nvidia drivers from x-swat

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    I already purged nvidia when it failed to boot into graphical mode, and that got me back up as I am now.(edit: I haven't tried reinstalling since - need to try that)

Yes, I need to try the latest drivers I guess. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by ubnewbie2; July 15th, 2012 at 07:29 AM.

Beans

No luck.

After adding swat, purging, upgrading, Ubuntu offered my 2 choices of nvidia drivers (different names to before) one free, one proprietary. Neither will work however. The system just boots to the command line login. Luckily, now you armed me with that purge command, I can do that, reboot, and be working again.

So looks like my card just won't work and better than with the builtin drivers unless there are other drivers somewhere else I should try.