Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are they phasing out Synaptic package manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Are they phasing out Synaptic package manager?

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    i use synaptic almost exclusively. I find software center to be slow and clunky.
    this !

+100

anyway would be cool to see a synaptic and/or software center or package manager lens, which would be pretty fast and probably feel integrated or be useful.

gotta put this lens stuff we got now to good use!

I can't code, so anyone up for the challenge ?
    Last edited by madjr; July 15th, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

simply search thew USC for it or do a sudo apt-get install synaptic for it.... simple

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It's not trollage. The OP's experience from installing Ubuntu showed that Synaptic wasn't installed anymore, which does make it seem like they are phasing it out. The truth of the matter is that they already did phase it out of the default install. I don't think he was trying to troll.
    Well, I did initially assume that this was the case, but the fact that the OP hasn't come back puts this down as a drive-by post. That's classic troll behaviour. Drop a controversial and/or confusing first post, sit back and watch the forum tie themselves in knots.

Just in case the OP is genuine: being dropped from the default install doesn't mean anything. As long as Debian have Synaptic in their repos, Ubuntu will have it too. It's only a couple of clicks away, just like the other 40,000 packages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

While I don't use synaptic now (I rarely install, and usually from terminal), when I was starting with Linux, I used to detest it; you'd search for an application, and end up with 100 results - mostly irrelevant.

I don't use Software Centre, but at least it's simple and obvious.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Well, I did initially assume that this was the case, but the fact that the OP hasn't come back puts this down as a drive-by post. That's classic troll behaviour. Drop a controversial and/or confusing first post, sit back and watch the forum tie themselves in knots.
    Good point.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

i hope not, ubuntu software center is to graphic intense and slow and still runs slow on one of my desktops even though i also use it for games like COD without any problems.

Beans

I think the confusion, if any, has been cleared and this thread may be "phased out"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I think the confusion, if any, has been cleared and this thread may be "phased out"
    Good idea.

Closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123