Hello and thanks for your efforts in helping everybody.

My problem is the following: I have a server (GATEWAY) that runs Ubuntu 6.06 and that, as it's name implies, is used as a gateway to a public network. Samba runs on this server and the firewall is configured to let Netbios and Samba ports traffic allowed from private interface. Also, I have setup all Windows workstation to use WINS over TCP using to the Gateway server IP address.

My smbpasswd user list is synchonized with my Windows user names and password for all workstations and the smbpasswd users are enabled.

I have 1 laptop that runs Win2K pro, 1 workstation that runs WinXp pro and 1 workstation that runs WinXP-home. Everything works fine from my win2K workstation. Using Windows explorer, I can navigate through the workgroup to the public share on the Gateway server. When using the WinXp ones, I simply cannot get to the shares. Here is what happens:

I open Windows Explorer and navigate to my server. When I click on Gateway, I am asked by Wndows to enter a name and a password. I enter a valid name and password (ex: jacques and mysecret where they are both entered and enabled in the smbpasswd). The password screen is then redrawn asking for a name and password this time, the user field is populated with "GATEWAY\jacques". I enter again the password but no can do. The system remains in this loop forever.

I tried the net test from the XP workstations and it worked OK (net use z: \\192.168.1.1\public mysecret /user:jacques /persistent:no and the drive is mapped correctly with the correct access rights) so it seems that it is at the password exchange level that ther is a problem.

I also get that nasty password screen when I try to install a public printer on the XP workstation while I have no problen installing on the Win2K equipment.

Here is my configuration:

Code:

[global]

workgroup = HOMELEDX
    netbios name = GATEWAY
    server string = 
    interfaces = eth1 lo
    bind interfaces only = yes

announce version = 5.0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    security = user
    null passwords = true
    username map = /etc/samba/usermap
    name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
    wins support = yes

encrypt passwords = yes

printing = cups
    printcap name = cups

[public]
    path = /exports/samba/public
    read only = yes