Page 66 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

oh! can someone tell me how to find the ip address of my Linux box?

Beans

Find IP adress by using the command ifconfig.

As for mounting windows shares on Kubuntu/Ubuntu, that's another problem than the one covered in this thread. However, I've used these guides successfully:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ounting+shares

I suggest at least adding comment about this being another matter a link to a guide for this in the original post, as it's a very common question and a common source of frustration for newbies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hey guys... I have another seemingly stupid question. Why is it important to add users to SAMBA? I havent added any users other than myself but already samba shares which appear on the windows network can be accessed by using the password of the other users of my linux PC. Why should I add separate users to samba?

Beans

Hi,

I am not sure if this has been asked before. Recently, I had to give my windows box a password. I also moved to another place so I had to set up the network again. I followed the tutorial (i have done it many times) and got my windows box to see the shared folder on my linux box. However, when I try to go into the windows box in the samba share from kubuntu i get asked for a user name and password. I tried typing my windows user name and passwd but no use. So basically i cant access my windows box from kubuntu. I would like to know how I set up windows (with an account with passwd) for file sharing.

Thanks.
    Custom Build:
    Windows 10 and Kubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by linuxnovice View Post
    Hi,

I am not sure if this has been asked before. Recently, I had to give my windows box a password. I also moved to another place so I had to set up the network again. I followed the tutorial (i have done it many times) and got my windows box to see the shared folder on my linux box. However, when I try to go into the windows box in the samba share from kubuntu i get asked for a user name and password. I tried typing my windows user name and passwd but no use. So basically i cant access my windows box from kubuntu. I would like to know how I set up windows (with an account with passwd) for file sharing.

Thanks.
    Please see the second link in my sig regarding cifs shares.

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

mpg@MIKED5:~$ sudo smbpasswd
    [sudo] password for mpg:
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    Failed to find entry for user root.
    Failed to modify password entry for user root
    I can connect to it from windows but I do not know the password and it won't let me change it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
    Try what I suggested a few posts ago:

Remove the line

force group = user1

I don't know why it's not working with that line, but removing it helps for me.
    Sorry for the very late reply. Was away from my Hardy for a long time. Anyway I tried the above suggestion and it solved my problem on the XP on VMWare Server. I have yet to check this on my XP laptop that has Domain settings.

Anyway, this helped a lot

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Okay I followed the directions here (for VM Ware) and I think I F'ed up my samba. I deleted sandbox as I cannot access it and made a new share the normal way (right click -- sharing) but when I access my machine it shows sansbox and not my new share, it shows what it shouldn't amd won't show what it should!

I typed

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    and it still wont do it

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Sorry but i do not know has someone already asked this question in the previous reply. I am having problem linking my ubuntu box to the other two MS Windows XP computer. I have already setup the samba on my ubuntu box the same way as the first post and did not encounter any problem. I also have a static IP address on my ubuntu box. The problem is when i am trying to link from the Windows XP to the ubuntu box by mapping the Network drive, i cant seem to be able to connect to the ubuntu box. It says that there is a extended error on Windows XP... How come like this...??

Beans

why is this happening? i've followed the howto to the letter.

Code:
    atok@atok-ibook:~$ smbclient -L kazekage -U%
    Connection to kazekage failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

Page 66 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast