Page 98 of 106 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Sorry to disappoint but I used this tutorial in 9.1 and 10.04 and it worked flawlessly. I share files between my Win XP & Ubuntu and vice versa. I also share a printer that is hooked up to the Ubuntu Machine.
    Do read the instructions and commands VERY carefully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by gcmartin View Post
    SAMBA in Ubuntu has changed! IT IS NOW UBUNTU VERSION SPECIFIC.
    This thread needs 2 things:
    1. reference to separate documents on "Howto use SAMBA services" BY VERSION NUMBER!
    2. separate FORUM THREADS for SAMBA in Ubuntu BY VERSION NUMBER!

Can the owner/moderator address this for the community?It also would be nice if someone could provide a link in the SAMBA document(s) explaining why it was necessary to change Ubuntu's usage. Was some "new" person added who wanted it changed for some good reason or did the new developer(s) want a new "signature" to differenciate their work from previous Ubuntu? Why?

Thanks in advance...
    You're talking about a howto that was last edited in 2006. This thread really isn't the best place to be getting current information about Samba.

Samba is currently under development to include support which will allow Linux servers to be a Windows domain controller which will open the door for Linux AD servers. This is one reason for separating the smbd and nmbd parts of the samba init script.

Also, since Linux is a community effort, if you feel that something is lacking with regards to documentation, feel free to close the gap. You might also be interested in this: http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverg...ileserver.html
    Last edited by dmizer; September 24th, 2010 at 09:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since dmizer already said it ...

This Howto I've once written was aimed at Breezy/Dapper and is clearly expressed at the very beginning of the OP post. It may have worked with other, newer, Ubuntu versions but is at least no longer suitable for Lucid anymore.

I actually stopped using Ubuntu quite a long time ago out of a lot of reason I'm not going to debate here.

At any rate, the problems you all are expericing at the moment ...

service smbd start|stop|reload|restart (on Lucid)
    Vs.
    /etc/init.d/smbd start|stop|reload|restart (on earlier versions)

... is Canonical's very own fault.

The "service" control has already been around in RHEL/Fedora (and forks like Cent OS) at the time of Dapper though Debian, and subsequently Ubuntu, has been ignorant enough not to use it for years to come ... till now.

NOW that they finally adopted "service" they fail to advertise this change, at least I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Anyway, since I already sent this to a forum mod (don't ask me whom) some time ago without effect...

Could someone please either delete the thread or hand it over to someone who wants to maintain it?

And while we're at it ... please delete, or deactivate if sooooooo desire to collect dead accounts, the user account as well. I'm not using Ubuntu (or is now called Ma[r]k OS X?) and have no plans picking it up again.

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Stormbringer, I followed precisely your guide on 10.04 and everything works fine, except just one thing.
    I cannot create new dirs/files and rename old ones from windows. I can although edit the files with notepad (open+save). This happens when the parent directory is 0755. If I change its rights to 0775 from linux, I can create/rename files/dirs from windows.

The problem is I do not want my dirs to have 0775 permission. I crawled the whole web but wasn't able to find good soluiton. I've tried thousands of combinations with the samba config directives - no success. The only solution is $chmod -R 775 /my/share

Any idea ?

Beans

dolorian,
    If you read the post immediatly before yours you might have noticed that Stormbringer has left the building and is not likely to respond to your question.

I cannot create new dirs/files and rename old ones from windows. I can although edit the files with notepad (open+save). This happens when the parent directory is 0755. If I change its rights to 0775 from linux, I can create/rename files/dirs from windows.
    Then you didn't do this:
    [MyFiles]
    path = /media/samba/
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = YOUR_USERNAME
    force group = YOUR_USERGROUP
    "force user" would have converted whoever samba authenticated to "YOUR_USERNAME" and assumming "YOUR_USERNAME" is the owner of /media/samba you could have set permissions to 0700.

Beans

I think I did it. Here is my smb.conf:

Code:
    [global]
        ;General server settings
        netbios name = Ubuntu64
        server string =
        workgroup = SVEST
        announce version = 5.0
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

passdb backend = tdbsam
        security = user
        null passwords = true
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast

wins support = yes

syslog = 1
        syslog only = yes

[WWW]
        path = /var/www/
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0755
        force user = myuser
        force group = myuser
    Under /var/www/, which is owned by myuser.myuser and has 755 I can't create/rename/delete files, but I can edit them from windows.
    If I change /var/www/ rights to 775, I can do everything there from windows.

Beans

Beans

This is the best setup guide for samba and 10.04 with Vista and Xp. I struggled for days before finding this and within 2 minutes had this working with the Wins Server setup.

Check this out: http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubusambabrowse.html
    Best, Dave
    Laptop-EEEPC 1000H, 2GB Rm, 160GB Hd, OS: Ubuntu 9.10/XPHomeSP3
    Desktop-CPU: X6800, OCLK 3600MHz (9x / 1600 QDR), Motherboard:EVGA 680i: Ubuntu 9.10/XPProSP3

Beans

I just saw the post above, and found http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubulanprimer.html, but I'm too fed up to read it at the moment. I've written the post already so I might as well put it up, right?

I went through this manual twice, read the read-before-you-post and the first couple of post, and spent a good amount of time googling.

Basically, I have a 10GB+ of data on the linux machine (pat) to transfer onto the windows machine (npcc-pc). Please note my mobile broadband wouldn't work on the linux one. The linux machine is about to die, and hopefully I will never have to use it again, so I'm not bothered about making / accessible. I have them linked up using a crossover cable and the sockets are blinking on both.

I'd like to think I've set everything right on the ubuntu machine, and I mut be doing something wrong on the win one. Basically, it all looks different on vista. When I go to 'Manage networks', there is two lan connections, Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 2, even though the machine only has one socket. Local Area Connection is an 'unidentified network, shared'. I've set everything up in the properties as guided (for TCP/IPv4 only, as there is no WINS tab for TCP/IPv6). LAC2 appears as unplugged.

On the linux machine, I'm using xfce4. I went to the network settings tab, and went to edit the 'auto eth0'. I entered 192.168.0.10 as the address in the IPv4 tab. I was expecting to see pat in my windows explorer's network tab, but there is only two different icons for npcc-pc, and an 'Internet gateway device'.

I will enter my ifconfig and ipcongfig outputs as attachments. I can't upload smb.conf, so I'll qoute it below. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? I feel like an idiot.

Code:
    [global]
        ; General server settings
        netbios name = pat
        server string =
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        announce version = 5.0
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

passdb backend = tdbsam
        security = user
        null passwords = true
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast

wins support = yes

printing = CUPS
        printcap name = CUPS

syslog = 1
        syslog only = yes

; NOTE: If you need access to the user home directories uncomment the
    ; lines below and adjust the settings to your hearts content.
    ;[homes]
        ;valid users = %S
        ;create mode = 0600
        ;directory mode = 0755
        ;browseable = no
        ;read only = no
        ;veto files = /*.{*}/.*/mail/bin/

; NOTE: Only needed if you run samba as a primary domain controller.
    ; Not needed as this config doesn't cover that matter.
    ;[netlogon]
        ;path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        ;admin users = Administrator
        ;valid users = %U
        ;read only = no

; NOTE: Again - only needed if you're running a primary domain controller.
    ;[Profiles]
        ;path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
        ;valid users = %U
        ;create mode = 0600
        ;directory mode = 0700
        ;writeable = yes
        ;browseable = no

; NOTE: Inside this place you may build a printer driver repository for
    ; Windows - I'll cover this topic in another HOWTO.
    [print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        read only = yes
        write list = root
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

[printers]
        path = /tmp
        printable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        browseable = no

; Uncomment if you need to share your CD-/DVD-ROM Drive
    ;[DVD-ROM Drive]
        ;path = /media/cdrom
        ;browseable = yes
        ;read only = yes
        ;guest ok = yes

[MyFiles]
        path = /

read only = no
        guest ok = no
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0755
        force user = pat
        force group = pat
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = no
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Thanks dccrens that link got me up and running in about 10 minutes after trying half the night!

Page 98 of 106 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast