Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

hey thanx man
    so i dont even need samba to access the windows shares eh?
    was it done by lisa?

ur explanations are great, real easy to follow. u rock

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by andho View Post
    hey thanx man
    so i dont even need samba to access the windows shares eh?
    If you ONLY want to access a Windows-Share FROM your Ubuntu box you don't need samba at all, you only need "smbfs" installed in order to mount the share.

You ONLY need samba if you like to access a share on your Ubuntu box FROM Windows.

was it done by lisa?
    Huh?

ur explanations are great, real easy to follow. u rock
    Thanks for the cheers.

-Storm

Beans

Hi Storm,

Just wanted to say thanks. I have played with Linux (mostly RH) at home for years trying to use as a server for my home network with Samba for file sharing and it never worked fully. Getting it to work reliably was always a problem.

Some one recently gave me a ubuntu cdrom for 5.1 and I am amazed how easy it was to install on a Dell laptop with a PCMCIA network connection.

But that was nothing compared to when I found your HOWTO and after printing the first pages, followed the steps inserting my specifics (username etc ) enabling WINS and blow me down. It worked first time. I have Samba up and running providing shares for my XP desktop with no problems. I am really impressed. I have moved the shares from my server running WinNT Desktop to the laptop so sure I am that it is stable.

Well done Storm, I can't tell you how impressed I have been reading this HOWTO and the hard work that you have done to help newbies like me. You are to be congratulated.

So now to the questions.

1: Is it necessary to add the 'sudo useadd and smbpasswd lines into the smb.conf file for each time so that they are there if the server is rebooted?

2: Can you please explain the printing = CUPS and printcap name = CUPS for me? Is this the name of your printserver?

Thanks in Advance.
    RadioHam :

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've edited this post a couple of times to clarify it (see sections in EDIT tags).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
    Isn't the SpeedTouch 510 a DSL router ?!? O_o

However, you are right - with this device you cannot change it's configuration as it has been made up by your ISP.
    Yes, it is a DSL - sorry if I didn't mention that (does it make an important difference to what we have discussed?). I have emailed the ISP to ask them if they can tell me how to set the router to either DHCP with fixed lease or static IP addresses instead.

OK, so let us "debug" the problem ...
    - You are able to connect from UBUNTU1 to UBUNTU2 and vice versa.
    Yes

- You are NOT able to connect from Windows to UBUNTU1 by using the very same username/password credentials you used before?
    - You are NOT able to connect from Windows to UBUNTU2 by using the very same username/password credentials you used before?
    EDIT: Correct. I can see the icons for the Ubuntu PCs in Network Neighbourhood but I cannot access them because it does not accept any combination of my samba/ubuntu username and password or username and no password.

Also I could not connect using the command you gave:
    net use z: \\192.168.0.10\Share password /user:username /persistent:no
    using the username and password together with the IP address found for the ubuntu PC at the time. But I was a bit unsure about the command you gave:

because you said I might have to "tweak the driver-letter, password and username". I put in "z" as you have in the line - is that the drive letter? Also, I left "persistent:no" as you have it, assuming I didn't need to change anything in that./EDIT

What about the other way? Are you able to gain access TO Windows from UBUNTU1 and/or UBUNTU2? (sorry if you already answered or mentioned that before; I'm somewhat lost in the posts).
    Yes - this works OK.
    EDIT: I noticed your reply to Ando saying:
    If you ONLY want to access a Windows-Share FROM your Ubuntu box you don't need samba at all, you only need "smbfs" installed in order to mount the share. You ONLY need samba if you like to access a share on your Ubuntu box FROM Windows.
    So I suppose I am accessing my Windows because of smbfs and the fault is with Samba in the other direction./EDIT

However, I would advise you to switch your Firewall as ZoneAlarm isn't exactly known to work and operate flawlessly (same goes for Symantec's Internet Security / Firewall). Simply Google the web for "Personal Firewall Review" and read through some reviews to get the picture.
    I can switch the firewall off and it doesn't make any difference.

Thanks for all the help - even if I don't get the last step (access to Ubuntu from Windows) you will have given me 95% of what I need now (and 100% of what I'll need soon when I get completely migrated to Ubuntu!)
    Last edited by stig; August 5th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RadioHam View Post
    So now to the questions.

1: Is it necessary to add the 'sudo useadd and smbpasswd lines into the smb.conf file for each time so that they are there if the server is rebooted?
    Huh? The "sudo useradd <username>" and "smbpasswd <options> <username>" command are to be typed into the terminal (command line) ... they are NOT supposed to written into smb.conf

Please re-read the HOWTO ... you surely misunderstood a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioHam View Post
    2: Can you please explain the printing = CUPS and printcap name = CUPS for me? Is this the name of your printserver?
    Nope - it's NOT the name of a printserver.

The parameter tells samba which PRINT SPOOLING software is to be used ... and CUPS (Common UN*X Printing System) is the default print spooler used in Ubuntu.

So, the lines tell samba the your print-spooler is in fact CUPS.

-Storm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    Yes, it is a DSL - sorry if I didn't mention that (does it make an important difference to what we have discussed?). I have emailed the ISP to ask them if they can tell me how to set the router to either DHCP with fixed lease or static IP addresses instead.
    The only difference is as follows...

On cable you would have to buy your own broadband (firewalling) router --- something like a Netgear RP613 series or similar.

In this case you would have access to the administrative interface of the router to configure things.

EDIT: Correct. I can see the icons for the Ubuntu PCs in Network Neighbourhood but I cannot access them because it does not accept any combination of my samba/ubuntu username and password or username and no password.
    So far at least the master browser is recognized by Windows.

This is nice, but it does not solve the fact that the $IPC connection gets refused for some reason.

Also I could not connect using the command you gave:
    using the username and password together with the IP address found for the ubuntu PC at the time. But I was a bit unsure about the command you gave:
    net use z: \\192.168.0.10\Share password /user:username

because you said I might have to "tweak the driver-letter, password and username". I put in "z" as you have in the line - is that the drive letter? Also, I left "persistent:no" as you have it, assuming I didn't need to change anything in that./EDIT/persistent:no
    If you wrote "z" instead of "z:" it will not work out for sure - but I assume you did it the right way.

Tweaking the driveletter means that you should use a letter that's not occupied by any other drive - so if "Z:" isn't assigned to any device on your system it's fine.

EDIT: I noticed your reply to Ando saying: <snip>

So I suppose I am accessing my Windows because of smbfs and the fault is with Samba in the other direction./EDIT
    If you connect FROM Ubuntu TO Windows you're using smbfs.
    If you connect FROM Windows to Ubuntu you're dealing with samba.
    If you connect FROM Ubuntu to Ubuntu you're dealing with samba on both sides (1x smbfs on the client, 1x samba on the target workstation which will either be Ubuntu1 or Ubuntu2 depending on the direction).

I can switch the firewall off and it doesn't make any difference.
    As you're able to connect and transfer files between your Linux boxes I'm next to absolutely sure that the issue is caused by Windows; otherwise you would have similar issues by connecting from Linux to Linux as well.

Thanks for all the help - even if I don't get the last step (access to Ubuntu from Windows) you will have given me 95% of what I need now (and 100% of what I'll need soon when I get completely migrated to Ubuntu!)
    In case you're able to create an image of your Windows box by using a program like partimage or Symantec Ghost (creates a snapshot of the currently installed system that can be restored upon need - you have to create the image on i.e. an external hard drive with sufficient space!):

Create a snapshot image of your current installation and as soon as you're done try to install a fresh plain copy of Windows (+Service Pack 2) just to see if it works out ... if it does you would know that the actual installation is causing the issue.

Then you could proceed onwards until it breaks again to find out what interferes with the network setup.

Anyway, glad I could be helpful.

-Storm

Beans

Cheers Storm,

Newbie on steep learning curve! Have Samba working so now on to Printing and email serving next!!!

Thanks for the great HOWTO on Samba.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hey, thanks for the great guide.

I have Ubuntu on my Thinkpad, which I can now access from my Windows box, but only connecting directly, by typing the IP. If I just double-click on the icon in Windows I get the error;

\\Trevorv-thinkpad is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

If I try and connect to the Thinkpad from the Thinkpad (over the network), it gives

The folder contents could not be displayed.

Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: mshome".

When trying to display the workgroup, but again I can connect if I go via "Connect to server" then I'm in.

So, it works, but not properly. Any ideas?

Cheers!
    Running Ubuntu on a cheap but rock-solid Thinkpad R50e.

Beans

Stormbringer - thanks for this great guide. Everything went smoothly until I got to mapping the network drive. I chose "U" then typed in the \\Ubuntu\MyFiles (Ubuntu is the name of the machine) and got a request for user name and password! Hurray!

But then when I typed in my user name and password, it just kept returning the same dialog, requesting user name and password.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Beans

Is there any chance of getting a look at your (in development) HOWTO for join a PDC? I'm getting pretty frustrated just trying to join the domain from my windows box.

The shares work ok, but when I try to join the domain I get a
    dialog box (on the windows system) that says "access is denied".

And... thanks for the great HOWTO and your willingness to be so helpful.

Pat

Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast