Page 72 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

I am unable to use my printer with my laptop (very important).
    Have you enabled printer sharing in your printer setup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quick update. There was one thing that I never thought to check. When I first lost the connection, I pinged the Linux desktop from the Windows laptop. It was successful, so I thought that the connection was fine.

However, I just tried going the other way, and found that I could NOT ping the Windows laptop from the Linux desktop! I have double-checked everything. It works one way, but not the other. How is that possible? What do I need to do?
    Thanks.

Ubuntu Studio 8.04, Pentium 4/2.4GHz, Asus P4S800D-X mobo, 4GB RAM, 160GB Western Digital HD, nVidia GeForce FX-6200 video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Erlander View Post
    Have you enabled printer sharing in your printer setup?
    Yes, all print sharing is enabled. No settings have changed. The connection just stopped working, after being functional for nearly a year.
    Thanks.

Ubuntu Studio 8.04, Pentium 4/2.4GHz, Asus P4S800D-X mobo, 4GB RAM, 160GB Western Digital HD, nVidia GeForce FX-6200 video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

To add some light to my previous two posts, here is another thread that I found. Though my research STILL cannot find any answer to my problem, I have found that it is suddenly very common. It all seems to have started back in September:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=923922

I urge everyone with knowledge of networking to read this thread. Something has changed, and no one with the necessary expertise seems to be helping. Was there a bad update, somewhere? Why the lack of response?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Stormbringer,

Just a note to see if you have any idea about a problem I am getting, I'm going to post a new thread also on the same thing, but I think you may have an idea as I get the feeling that it is samba related.

so....

The situation.

I'm happily sitting in front of my pc and working on some programming stuff, when suddenly I get a major slow down of the pc (it won't even respond to keystroke inputs for about 15 mins).

Eventually I pull the power - it seems to be the only solution! (bear with me here people I'm about to get to the point.... ).

So after I've rebooted I look into my various system logs and I find these messages

Jan 9 11:57:58 Anticlimax smbd[7533]: create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
    Then a little later I see these in the log files

Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]: *****
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]:
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]: Samba name server ANTICLIMAX is now a local master browser for workgroup IRREDUTIBLES on subnet 134.157.195.129
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]:
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]: *****
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]: [2009/01/09 12:44:29, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fa il(351)
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]: find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name IRREDUTIBLES<1b> for the workgroup IRREDUTIBLES.
    Jan 9 12:44:29 Anticlimax nmbd[5571]: Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup
    so now I'm curious and try to see when all this started, I've noticed that the inability to find the workgroup is persistent, and don't know how to solve this, our local domain name is irredutibles (or at least that is what the boss has called it) is there anything I can do to confirm it's presence and that he isn't just "giving it a name" that doesn't really exist except for in the teams computers?

Also on further investigation I find this

Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: [2009/01/09 10:22:12, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(309)
    Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: process_local_master_announce: Server ASTERIX at IP 134.157.195.68 is announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup IRREDUTIBLES and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: [2009/01/09 10:22:12, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(14 9)
    Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: *****
    Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]:
    Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: Samba name server ANTICLIMAX has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup IRREDUTIBLES on subnet 134.157.195.1
    Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]:
    Jan 9 10:22:12 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: *****
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: [2009/01/09 10:22:25, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: *****
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]:
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: Samba name server ANTICLIMAX is now a local master browser for workgroup IRREDUTIBLES on subnet 134.157.195.1
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]:
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: *****
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: [2009/01/09 10:22:25, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fa il(351)
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
    Jan 9 10:22:25 Anticlimax nmbd[5609]: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name IRREDUTIBLES<1b> for the workgroup IRREDUTIBLES. .
    which ties in perfectly with the time my system slow down started, for information ASTERIX is another pc with shared drives (it happens to be an XP machine

I found some information on this here but I don't know what I need to change to set my pc as a "client" to stop it talking to the other system.

Your help is much appreciated.

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Fixed the problem after reading the entire thread that I didn't see at first due to having gotten a cached copy from my search.
    Last edited by topaz1968; January 27th, 2009 at 06:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by theDaveTheRave View Post
    I found some information on this here but I don't know what I need to change to set my pc as a "client" to stop it talking to the other system.

Your help is much appreciated.

David
    I wasn't too sure how to interpret that post either, but after reading the "domain master" section of man smb.conf (several times) it became clear.

Note that Windows NT Primary Domain Controllers expect to be able to claim this workgroup specific special NetBIOS name that identifies them as domain master browsers for that workgroup by default (i.e. there is no way to prevent a Windows NT PDC from attempting to do this). This means that if this parameter is set and nmbd claims the special name for a workgroup before a Windows NT PDC is able to do so then cross subnet browsing will behave strangely and may fail.
    Add:
    Code:
    domain master = no
    to the [global] section of your smb.conf

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

dmizer

Thanks for the help, I will test the change next time I get an issue. Currently there are no slow downs or other problems, and I guess that it would work best to test when I have the problem, turn off the <domain master> as you suggest and then see if it has changed anything?

Oddly enough there were other "issues" where I worked at the same time. All the pc's are on static IP. And there was a conflict on one of the addresses... co-incided quite nicely with when there was a problem.

David.

ps. If you are wondering why I keep going quiet, it is because I am doing bioinformatic research for a group. Every 2 weeks I head off to the university of Rouen for the "accademic" part of a Masters course.

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You are my new best friend ... i spend two days trying to configure it ... but i was always missing something

You gave me everything ...

Great guide
    "If everyone thought the same
    .......................... nothing would change"

If you are happy with the answer mark the question.

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Greetings!

Another newbie here. This on-going discussion is certainly a testimonial to Stormbringer's tutorial and willingness to help the newcomers. I have used the example as the basis for my samba configuration. I have a problem but more on that later after some background . . .

BACKGROUND INFO
    MY Home Office LAN: 2-Windows XP Pro, 1- Windows 2k Pro, 1- Windows 98SE (rarely used by granddaugher for games). My oldest daughter access the internet via router (wireless_ on her Visa laptop.

LAN CONFIGURATION
    Router for DHCP, DNS and Gateway via DSL. No connection sharing via one machine. Basically, each machine accesses the internet independently. LAN configuration for each machine: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and Internet Protocal (TCP/TP). Advanced TCP/TP Settings: DHCP Enabled; No DNS addresses; no WINS; Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. All services (Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks) are bound to NetBEUI Protocal instead ot TCP/IP for security -- per Steve Gibson's Shields Up site.

CURRENT SITUATION
    I recently installed Linux (non-Ubuntu distribution) on a spare machine and thought it would be something I could use for video teleconferences and music. I have little experience with Linux (total newbie) but have managed to find my way -- up until this point. For the last several weeks I have gone nuts trying to get Samba working with my network. I simply want it to be a workstation like the others MS boxes and be able to access music and other files on the MS boxes, etc.

I have searched and read a lot but have hit a dead end. I have tried various configurations and have reached my wit's end with this. I have posted my problem on the distribution's forum but there has not been a response. Ubuntu forums seem to be more responsive, IMHO. What I have learned is that Ubuntu has the best information and "how to" tutorials. Yes, I plan to d/l and install Ubunto. However, I would like to get this problem behind me -- so I come here with a plea for help in getting Samba to work.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
    Although the Linux network ethernet settings use auto IP (BOOTP/DHCP), the IP address is a static assignment by the router (for all LAN).

I am able to ping to/from all machines with IP addresses and machine names. In the Linux box I am able to see shares I have set up but I am unable to access the shared docs on the Win XP machines. From Win XP machines, I do not see the Linux shares. Nada. Just message that path not found.

It seems like a firewall issue but the Linux box does not have a firewall running. The Windows XP machines have Zone Alarm configured to permit access of all machines on the LAN. There is nothing to indicate the router might be a problem but I did configure it to permit ports 131-139, 445.

SAMBA CONFIGURATION
    I "think" my configuration is setup for no password accessing of files on other machines. There is no security issue with this little home LAN that would require username and passwords. What I am trying to achieve is no username/password accessing of files -- just like on my Win machines.

Here is my current SAMBA configuration:

[global]
    netbios name = Triboot
    server string = Mandriva_2009
    workgroup = MYNET
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 O_SNDBUF=8192

passdb backend = tdbsam
    security = user
    null passwords = true

log file = /var/log/log.%m
    max log size = 50

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    name resolve order = hosts wins bcast

local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 65

wins support = yes

[private]
    comment = Private
    path = /usr/smbroot/private
    public = no
    writeable = yes
    valid users = @private
    write list = @private
    directory mask = 0770
    create mask = 0770

[public]
    path = /usr/smbroot/public
    comment = Public
    public = no
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    write list = @public

[temp]
    path = /usr/smbroot/tmp
    public = yes

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any help or suggestions. i am totally lost and do not know the next step.

januszky

Page 72 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast