Page 71 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Do you have a local user account on your Ubuntu machine named that?

Any Samba user you create within Samba must already exist within Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I could use some assistance! Have a network of a half-dozen machines with half being Windows XP and the other half being Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. All the machines are seeing one another's names via WINS... EXCEPT for the latest. Let's consider two machines, GOODBOX and BADBOX, to keep things relatively simple. Here is what I know...

1. BADBOX can ping GOODBOX and get the correct IP address. (Both boxes assigned IP addresses via DHCP.)

2. BADBOX can see GOODBOX vis nmblookup

3. BADBOX can open vnc and ssh sessions to GOODBOX

4. BADBOX can ping itself

5. GOODBOX can ping BADBOX when using IP address, but cannot ping BADBOX by name... GOODBOX tries to resolve the BADBOX name via OpenDNS! GOODBOX can ping other boxes on the network properly by name, so seems as if this is not just a simple name resolution issue on GOODBOX.

6. GOODBOX cannot see BADBOX via nmblookup, nor can it vnc or ssh into BADBOX

7. Samba is running on both boxes. I can see the nmbd process running on both boxes, too.

8. Neither box is running an active firewall, so it would seem that's not the problem.

I've spent a full day trying to fix this and made no headway. Have compared configuration files on the two boxes, including nsswitch.conf, smb.conf, resolv.conf, interfaces, and possibly some I've forgotten; but no differences noted and no clues as to why things aren't working.

I need some help... please!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm on Intrepid Ibex and I'm trying to print to a Windows XP computer wirelessly. The XP computer is connected a Brother DCP 7020.

I've got SAMBA set up, I can see the printer on my Intrepid machine, and I can install the drivers. Unfortunately, after setting everything up I get this error whenever I try to print:

Code:
    Processing - Connection failed : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Processing - Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...
    Is this a samba problem? I can't find a fix for it.

Beans

Dude, stormbringer, you rock, The setup on Samba was really easy following this guide, and mow all my pr0n is on my windows box instead of my lappy thanks much.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mahasmb View Post
    I'm on Intrepid Ibex and I'm trying to print to a Windows XP computer wirelessly. The XP computer is connected a Brother DCP 7020.

I've got SAMBA set up, I can see the printer on my Intrepid machine, and I can install the drivers. Unfortunately, after setting everything up I get this error whenever I try to print:

Code:
    Processing - Connection failed : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Processing - Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...
    Is this a samba problem? I can't find a fix for it.
    Have you set up windows printer sharing?

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Absolutely. I can connect to the printer and set it up. It just won't print.

Beans

I'mnot sure if this has been discussed previously in this very long forum.

I have followed all these steps (pretty much to the word) and now I am able to see my Ubuntu box (ubuntu server 8.04) from my Windows XP box.

As soon as I access the shared machine through windows I am asked for my username and password. I then enter my username and samba password, after which I am shown a list of all the shared folders.

Now comes the problem. As soon as I attempt to access one of these shared folders I am again asked for a username and password. No matter which username and password I enter, I cannot get past this step.

What could I be doing wrong?

Beans

wow nice "how to" as it was so easy to follow nice work
    thank you
    Last edited by masterkiller; December 26th, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
    HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows
    Thanks for the excellent guide!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

PLEASE HELP!

I have been using Samba for nearly a year. It enables me to connect my Windows laptop to my old parallel printer, through my Linux desktop. Never had any problems.

But then, about a month ago, the connection just stopped working. I have gone back over all of the set-up steps, numerous times, and nothing has been changed. Yet, I cannot get the connection to work again. I am using a router, and I have double-checked the IP addresses.

About the only thing I find odd are the permissions of the Samba folder that I created. I have used "sudo chmod 777" to open the permissions. But, when I check that folder with the file browser, the browser claims that the Samba folder is root restricted (I'm guessing, mod "000").

Please help me with this. This is the second time I have asked! I am unable to use my printer with my laptop (very important).
    Thanks.

Ubuntu Studio 8.04, Pentium 4/2.4GHz, Asus P4S800D-X mobo, 4GB RAM, 160GB Western Digital HD, nVidia GeForce FX-6200 video card

Page 71 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast