Page 68 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Stormbringer,
    can I translate this howto in my language and give it to my friends?

Beans

This thread seems to have run it's course. People are having problems here and getting no answers!. I'm investigating using Ubuntu in my network but this frightens me somewhat as one post seems to imply Ubuntu still has bugs.
    Thanks for your time.

Beans

The reason for the lack of replies is that the OP has not visited the forums since February 12th 2007.

I find that Ubuntu is very stable. Having once got my samba shares working I saved my config files elsewhere and every time I upgrade or change my system I just copy them to the /etc/samba directory.

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by cantthinkofanickname View Post
    This thread seems to have run it's course. People are having problems here and getting no answers!. I'm investigating using Ubuntu in my network but this frightens me somewhat as one post seems to imply Ubuntu still has bugs.
    Of course Ubunutu has bugs. All operating systems have bugs in them from Windows to Ubuntu to AIX. That said, Ubuntu is pretty stable and with a bit of tweaking, samba works pretty well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by cantthinkofanickname View Post
    This thread seems to have run it's course.
    This thread is still very active and helpful. The configuration given in the howto is still valid for most situations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nice Post. it's very usefull

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Actually, when I used the GUI it was very easy except I still couldn't see my Linux box from my WinXP box. So I entered the sudo /etc/init.d/samba start command and voila: visible from WinXP (although I didn't try to browse or update any files yet). Also I didn't see what happens if I reboot if the SAMBA START is automatically performed during boot. Also in the Ubuntu community documentation Setting Up SAMBA they have a reference to:

Configuring your computer
    Start the network configurator using the following menu:

(see attached image)

System -> Administration -> Network

You will need the General tab, in the middle.

I am running 8.10 with current updates and I don't have such a panel. Where do I get one? That would be a really nice addition to my Ubuntu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ubuntu Network panel.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	94266  

Beans

I have now installed samba and webmin and after a days fiddling and learning have got a couple of shares working from windows. Looking forward to getting inot this a bit deeper. My only problem is that when I get the server shares running for everyone in the office someone has to turn the machine on in the mornings as the bios does not have any boot options from power on.
    Thanks for your time.

Beans

I went through the whole configuration. How do I actually access the Windows XP machine on my network. I see it in my Network window but when I double click into it it's a blank screen. I know its accessible because I was able to access from my Mandriva machine.
    CPU:AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52*slot: Socket S1,1600MHz*RAM: DIMM DDR2 667 MHz X 2 1GB*HDISK: Western Digital ATA Disk (320GB)*video: nVidia Geforce Go 6150 clock: 66MHz*wifi: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311
    eth0: nVidia MCP51

Beans

Stormbringer - It has probably been some time since the last post. I have migrated from SuSE SLES10 to UserOS 8.o4 (PC User Version in Australia). It's a very lite version of Heron I think. Thanks for the post. I had an awful time getting my Home/Local/Share up and running and I'm not quite sure how I did it. After I followed your Tute I could not get my ******* boxes to R/W to the share. All the users on my system could see and R/W to their own private folder. I changed the ownership using chown as you indicated and this did not work. Somehow under the GUI I managed to change the permissions and it works just great. I think it was the the change to the same name of the group from user to the name I put into smb.conf. This may seem like its going nowhere but I really wanted to thank you for the great howto. I will look forward to testing out the PDC version.

Page 68 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast