Page 50 of 106 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by yashoda View Post
    nope... still asks for username, and password which don't seem to be correct.
    Did you find any solution anywhere for this problem. I ask because I have the same problem.

From my Kubuntu machine I can access the shares on the Windows machines, but not vice versa.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by de_valentin View Post
    Hi there,

I received an error here

1.1 Starting samba and setting up user accounts

Let us fire up samba for the first time. Type:

Code:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba start

There shouldn't be any errors - if you are presented with an error message make sure everything is correct (search for typos and/or invalid paths).

it reads

command not found

Try this:

sudo /etc/init.d/smb start

Off-note, Stormbringer, you are a peacebringer to me... i have read over 20 how-to's about samba, this is by far the best one; i was able to access samba shares from both Vista and Xp clients.

Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by saphyrre; November 7th, 2007 at 03:52 AM. Reason: forgot to say "thanks"! :)

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Dude... Stormbringer... YOU ROCK!!! you are my Sandle-Hat guy. love the urahara tux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thanks storm bringer worked a treat but one thing

Iv set up users on the server Cam,Robyn,Laura,Daniel etc i would like it so that i could make a folder on the share called Cam for example and then everyone would be able to see that folder but they would not be able to access it, only cam could access it. How would go about doing this?
    This is the dumbest error I found in bios
    "Error Keyboard Failure Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by superdif View Post
    Did you find any solution anywhere for this problem. I ask because I have the same problem.

From my Kubuntu machine I can access the shares on the Windows machines, but not vice versa.
    have been having this same issue with 7.10. this guide worked great with 7.04 but with an install of 7.10 something gets screwed up. but after about 3 reinstalls i think i may have a fix for some people. it worked for me.

when you use the "server install" dont let the cd install samba when asked install it after the os install is done. have no clue what if anything this helps with but it worked for me.

Beans

Using Ubuntu 7.10

Hello,

So I'm really new to linux and especially linux servers and I'm also lost. I've been trying to set up a samba server( Ubuntu 7.10) on a desktop that I have here on my home network, which is composed of one XP desktop, a Ubuntu Virtual machine, and my linksys router.)

So far I've just flunked and I've been trying to search for a detailed guide that can help me. This guide has been pretty excellent but I've ran into a few problems at the very beginning.

I got to the point where I installed samba and then I stopped it. After that the nest couples of steps goes as follows:

Code:
    root@hoab:~# mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.template
    root@hoab:~# touch /etc/samba/smb.conf
    root@hoab:~# gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    cannot open display:
    Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
    At that point I had no idea what to do. So I tried looking at some other help files and such and haven't got any where. I also tried installing the gedit (The first time it said it wasn't installed), smbclient, samba-common, and smbfs.

Would someone mind helping me? I'd really appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Using Ubuntu 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by Smerky View Post
    Hello,

So I'm really new to linux and especially linux servers and I'm also lost. I've been trying to set up a samba server( Ubuntu 7.10) on a desktop that I have here on my home network, which is composed of one XP desktop, a Ubuntu Virtual machine, and my linksys router.)

So far I've just flunked and I've been trying to search for a detailed guide that can help me. This guide has been pretty excellent but I've ran into a few problems at the very beginning.

I got to the point where I installed samba and then I stopped it. After that the nest couples of steps goes as follows:

Code:
    root@hoab:~# mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.template
    root@hoab:~# touch /etc/samba/smb.conf
    root@hoab:~# gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    cannot open display:
    Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
    At that point I had no idea what to do. So I tried looking at some other help files and such and haven't got any where. I also tried installing the gedit (The first time it said it wasn't installed), smbclient, samba-common, and smbfs.

Would someone mind helping me? I'd really appreciate it.
    easy change "gedit" to "nano"

Beans

I AM COMPLETELY new with samba and linux itself, know some staff about networking and that's about it. Did you mean jast "copy paste whatever in the <code> boxes"? Please, forgive my ignorance, but can we change YOUR_USERNAME in the code before typing it in? thanks a lot for this post.

Beans

Did you mean jast "copy paste whatever in the <code> boxes"? Please, forgive my ignorance, but can we change YOUR_USERNAME in the code before typing it in?
    Yes and yes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can someone help me I can't access the share folder.
    Its listed in My Network places on the windows side but it says that there is no permission to view.

Page 50 of 106 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast