Page 48 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

I was playing with Server 6.06, and followed this steps, and was very happy.

Now I wiped it all, and installed Gutsy Desktop. Is the steps mentioned here still valid for Gutsy?

Thanks.
    Slowly and Surely, getting there.....

Beans

Is the steps mentioned here still valid for Gutsy?
    Worked nicely for me, except for the startup issue I mentioned, but that was only on a few machines, the rest worked perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Duwady View Post
    I was playing with Server 6.06, and followed this steps, and was very happy.

Now I wiped it all, and installed Gutsy Desktop. Is the steps mentioned here still valid for Gutsy?

Thanks.
    Affirmative. Clearance to go ahead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just followed it on Gutsy... and it rocks!!!!!
    Slowly and Surely, getting there.....

Beans

[I have installed and configured samba on my laptop with Ubuntu which is networked wirelessly to 2 window computers. The Window computers can access the laptop but the laptop gets the message "Folder contentscan't be displayed, cannot display the contents of Windows Network:harry"
    Help
    Harry

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey nice How to, so I got everything up and running just a the instructions say. I got a logical Z drive on my windows machine in which I am able to drag and drop files to and from my linux machine. But when I try to do the same on the Linux machine, I get an error from that end - see the image I've attached. I was trying to access it from pulldown Places>Network>Windows Network>Nuthouse (workgroup name)>Desktop (name of one of the machines on my LAN which has shared folders on it), thats when I got the message I attached. Please let me know if I going about this correctly, I am still new,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-1.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	48035  
    Free 5GB of Cloud space + extra 5GB using this link https://copy.com?r=A0im67

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Another side note and probably much more advanced, possibly warranting a different thread - I have a PS3 on my LAN, is there a way to setup a interface with it (even if only on the linux end) to move files back and forth like multimedia movies, audio etc.. Just Pondering the thought of it makes me say Cool! I've been told that the PS3 system is operated by a linux based system, not sure on the validity of that and if that even helps or not - but it would still be awesome to directly communicate with it,especially to use it as a media server over my network.
    Free 5GB of Cloud space + extra 5GB using this link https://copy.com?r=A0im67

Beans

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered (this is a long thread )

I've got Samba share setup and it's happy with my XP PC. However I want to do the reverse and add some windows shares to my Linux box basically, my music and movies folder on my xp machine.

If I create a mount point in say /media/my_win_share and mount it permanently (so it is mounted whenever I turn on my ubuntu machine) will it create problems if I boot up the ubuntu machine without the XP machine being switched on i.e. does the share not being present muck up the ubuntu file system in any way?

I was planning on using instructions along the lines of this and using the smbfs package:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...resPermanently

There is a section at the end that makes mention of bad things happening if the server isn’t present, can someone confirm this is (or isn't) the case and if so is there a way round it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Gaz

PS this is on Kubuntu 7.10!

Beans

Thanks so much for this wonderful guide!

I encountered no problems until I got on my Windows machine and tried to log into my Linux machine. It asks me for a name and password then when I enter the name and password for my Linux box it gives me and error that says:

The network path 192.168.0.4\home\Samba could not be found.

Any clue what this means?

Thanks for all your help!

Beans

Ok, so, I got it set up so that I can see the share from Windows, I can map it, no password asked for, but, I can't actually *see* the subfolders. It's 0777 across the board, all the way down to the files. smb://127.0.0.1/media works fine from the ubuntu box. What might I be missing (besides a boatload of info in this to help you answer me...)

Page 48 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast