Page 12 of 106 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
    Check if the "My Files" folder on Ubuntu has the appropriate rights. Issue a ...

ls -lisa /media/MyFiles

... and look out for the columns showing your the access modes, the owner and the group.

If the permissions don't look like drwxrwxrwx you forgot to issue "sudo chmod 0777 /media/MyFiles".

If the owner and group IS NOT your username you forgot to issue "sudo chown your_username:your_username /media/MyFiles"

If there's something wrong with the permissions you won't be able to copy onto the share from Windows; but it should give a message like "You don't have the appropiate permissions blah blah" instead of a networking error.

Just give it a try and remember to correct paths to match your setup.

-Storm
    Actually Stormbringer, there's no need. I've pinpointed the problem.

I was using a Slim Devices Squeezebox as a wireless bridge.

When I wire the Ubuntu PC into my router directly, file sharing works as expected: from/to the Ubuntu machine, internal LAN webpages, everything.

This points the finger at the Squeezebox - even though Internet access was fine (I downloaded the Ubuntu updates at 315 kB/s, close to my Internet saturation speed of ~330 kB/s) it's somehow mangling filesharing bits.

The good news is this is all in firmware and the company is very responsive.

Even more good news is, of course, that Samba's working perfectly thanks to your guide. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

3 questions on samba

firstly thanks heaps stormbringer for the how-to but esp for the effort at anwering peoples questions, really appreciated by all!

ok, 3 questions.

1- does using samba effect the overall security of my ubuntu box? i'm not worried about accessing my windoze box from ubuntu (i know its not using samba), but it does concern me that an unsecure system like windoze can access my (hopefully) locked down ubuntu box. somehow is _worrying_. should i be concerned? if someone hacks the windoze box is my ubuntu system then an easy target, even if i have locked down permissions as best as i can??

2- does the 'Share folder' option in nautilus have anything to do with using samba, or is this a linux-linux, or user-user option? I had thought the permissions on the folder to be shared via samba just had to be set to allow access to any user, but then i noticed the nautilus option?

3- i installed firestarter, but don't initialise it at startup. this doesn't mean i don't have a firewall running though, yeah? by my understanding firestarter sets the rules and the rest just runs whenever the os is on. if this is the case, could this be why i can't get samba to run? ubuntu can read and write on the wondoze box, but the windoze cant even get any access to the ubuntu box. if that's why do i just configure firestarter to alow the windoze box's IP access?

sorry for the long post but i've been working on this for 2 days.

thanks everyone who has helped in this thread, you all rock!
    I blame........[gasp]....... society!

Beans

Thanks again for the information. I had mentioned that I could access from Windows to Ubuntu, but not the other way around. Your suggestions sounded good, but then I discovered that the problem was not Ubuntu, it was me. The answer was right in front of me.

Instead of going through from the upper taskbar through Places/Network Servers, All I need to do is go from Places to Connect to Server, plug in the name of the Windows computer, and voila, there are all the shared folders in that computer. This apparently mounts that computer (or whatever) and puts an icon on the desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Stormbringer I linked to this HOWTO on :

READ THIS FIRST prior to posting - IMPORTANT links
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=232059

A suggestion : link to further documentation in your first post for example :
    -official samba documentation
    -wiki.ubuntu.com samba documentation
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; August 11th, 2006 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It worked great!... @ first

I added an additional user and something broke. Now the drive\share I had mapped wouldn't connect. So I deleted it (windows) and tried to remap it. Now I cannot login/authenticate remap.

As part of the initial setup that I followed I set up this. Mapped and logged in from my XP Mach.

[MyFiles]
    path = /home/tonydm/
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = tonydm
    force group = tonydm
    available = no
    public = no
    writable = no

Then added the following to the smb.conf and issued sudo smbpasswd -L -a megan and sudo smbpasswd -L -e megan. Restarted samba. And it broke. Help Please.

[MegansFiles]
    path = /home/megan/
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = megan
    force group = megan
    available = no
    public = no
    writable = no

[Common]
    path = /home/common
    available = yes
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

I have gone through the HOWTO step by step.
    Here is my problem:
    I can see my ubuntu pc in winxp but when i try and access it it says that i might not have the right permissions.
    Any ideas appreciated as this and network printing are the last hurdles before i totally switch over.
    Cheers,
    Dave.

Beans

I read all your document and it is really very usefull. I have one additional question. My principal interest is to be able, on my Linux machine to use windows workstation names instead of their IP , when trying to connect to any windows share folder.

1) Is this samba setup enabling this ?

2) If I have more thna one Linux machine on the network what WINS ip should I enter on the Windows machine ?

Thanks for your help.

Beans

All well and great. With the exception that on a standard 6.06 install there is NO SAMBA. And installing it (apt-get install samba) does not work as he complains that it is not available. ubuntu however reports that smbclient and samba-common can replace the package.

Do they replace samba? If so then how can i apply the same steps to them?
    If no, then can one get to install samba from the CD? or does one need internet access? (which i dont have on the ubuntubox...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stevewabc View Post
    ok thanks to this form my file sharing is up but my Print server is XXXX. ok This server has no gui, so to configure the printers im typing under root lynx 127.0.0.1:631/Administration/ and it shows new printer HP895C and my laserJet5 so I tab down to Add this Print
    hit enter, it list the printer drivers its going to load all looks good so I tab to Add Printer, then I get not Authorized grrr then it asks for user name for cups so I tried everything and always get Authorization Failed..

this is cups 1.2.2
    Please help do I need to down grade cups is it a bug? my hole damn office has no printers now
    [OFFTOPIC]
    So I drop by in "my" thread and there are a bunch of posts ... I really wonder why the board fails to send me the "topic reply" notifications ...
    [/OFFTOPIC]

You get the error on Windows, right?

In the add printer wizard select "network" as the connection type and give the UNC path to your print server - i.e. \\SERVER\HPLJ5 (you may also browse the network).

After that Windows should ask you to provide the printer driver ...

Simply select the appropriate printer driver from the list (LaserJet 5 and/or DeskJet 895C) and let it install.

Should work out fine ... I'm running an HP LJ4M on my Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS; the distribution is up-to-date and the print-spooling works fine when I print from Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 3 questions on samba

Quote Originally Posted by whatrucrazy View Post
    ok, 3 questions.

1- does using samba effect the overall security of my ubuntu box? i'm not worried about accessing my windoze box from ubuntu (i know its not using samba), but it does concern me that an unsecure system like windoze can access my (hopefully) locked down ubuntu box. somehow is _worrying_. should i be concerned? if someone hacks the windoze box is my ubuntu system then an easy target, even if i have locked down permissions as best as i can??
    As for samba: You're fine as long as you're blocking port 137, 138, 139, 445 (TCP and UDP) against access from the outside world (Internet).

If your Windows box gets pwned by a trojan or backdoor your Ubuntu box may be at risk if there's some security hole that hasn't been patched.

If you don't run things like SSH (i.e. you connect to your Ubuntu box by SSH using PuTTY with passwordless RSA-key authentication) or telnet chances are rather minimal (although I read an thread here on the forums that a box got hacked through a windows client).

2- does the 'Share folder' option in nautilus have anything to do with using samba, or is this a linux-linux, or user-user option? I had thought the permissions on the folder to be shared via samba just had to be set to allow access to any user, but then i noticed the nautilus option?
    As it doesn't need to samba for operation it doesn't seem to be related to samba ... although I might be at error as I haven't used that option and haven't dug myself through the tons of documentation on Gnome.

3- i installed firestarter, but don't initialise it at startup. this doesn't mean i don't have a firewall running though, yeah? by my understanding firestarter sets the rules and the rest just runs whenever the os is on. if this is the case, could this be why i can't get samba to run? ubuntu can read and write on the wondoze box, but the windoze cant even get any access to the ubuntu box. if that's why do i just configure firestarter to alow the windoze box's IP access?
    What's the layout of your network? Do you have 2 network cards in your linux box or do you connect through a hardware router?

A little more background would be nice to give it a thought ...

-Storm

Page 12 of 106 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast