Page 102 of 106 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1059

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

That's what I was going to do! Thanks Morbius!

Beans

Ok, so I'm not sure if this is what I need, but what I need to do is be able to browse files on remote computers on a vpn. The one at my job. Now, I have nautilus elementary with breadcrumbs and when I click on network, it has my home network and the vpn. Now, when I click the home network, it lets me browse local computer files, but when I click the vpn, it just says cannot retrieve list of host computers. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I installed samba and set it up but as far as I can tell, its not doing anything different. Im new to Ubuntu and if I can get this done, I can run it full time without having to fall back on windows.

Beans

Great set of instructions.... worked well. One thing to look out for though that got me thinking for a while.
    Command for startup is :

sudo /etc/init.d/samba start

but for some reason this did not work for me until I realised that the actual command/script is called samba4 and not just samba. So the command line that worked for me was:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba4 start

hope this helps someone.

Beans

From synaptic on Samba4:
    These packages contain snapshot versions of Samba 4, the next-generation version of Samba. These should be considered _experimental_, and should not be used in production.
    I would not recommend installing Samba4.

Beans

Thanks for the heads up..... the good news it works well.

That would leave me with the question though; I know I have installed samba, but where is the samba command file if not in /etc/init.d/ ???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Beans

Samba ( the daemon ) is controlled by the service name smbd:

Code:
    sudo service smbd start

Beans

I have a small private workgroup named RSLHOME consisting of 2 Win 7 PCs, 1 Win Vista PC, this Ubuntu 11.04 PC (MediaViewer), 2 Linux NASs, a USB device server for remoting my printers and scanner and a router for Internet access. All these components are connected together by 1Gbps Ethernet. The user names on all 3 of the Win PCs and the 2 NASs is RSL with the same password on all. All of the Win PCs and NASs have shares. I want to use Samba on MediaViewer to join the workgroup and access shares on the other PCs and NASs.

I did a sudo apt-get install samba smbclient and a sudo apt-get install smbfs. Then I looked at smb.conf and got my mind blown. Am I in the right place to ask for help in sharing files with Windows computers using Samba?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

take a look at this thread that I started with the same issue. I just got this working between 2 win7 and an ubuntu 11.04 machine.

Hope it helps

Beans

Dear Stormbringer , your smb.conf file was the only one that works for me partially. I am able to view my windows (XP) shared folders in the KDE dolphin manager in Networks ..However I am not able to mount the share ..I get the error "Could not resove address for host VIKRAM : Unknown error" where VIKRAM is the XP computer's name.

From the other perspective , If I share a Linux folder and try to search in Windows network neighbourhood , I am not able to view any folder in the linux box..If I give the IP address to map the drive , it gives the error "could not find //192.168.1.2"

I have tried changing DHCP to static in host , but still it doesnt resolve the issue.. I have also tried utils like SMB4K , XSMBROWSER and SWAT ..I cannot figure how to get the 2 computers to talk to each other..

I also tried changing distro from ubuntu to arch and followed the ArchWiki to the letter, but stilll the same problem.(in fact I have a dual boot of Arch and Ubuntu because these are the most popular in terms of package availability as If anything is not available in either , it is not available anywhere in Linux world)

I am posting this in both Ubuntu and Arch forums so that I get a quick solution from somewhere.
    Last edited by vikrang; August 19th, 2011 at 05:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In case you're getting your ip from a router/server via DHCP make sure it's configured to provide a fixed dhcp-lease. If that's no valid option you cannot use WINS ... more on this way down.
    What's WINS? Wouldn't the issue of knowing where to send data be taken care of by using DNS?

Page 102 of 106 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast