Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Trammer View Post
    Ironically he actually never actually told anyone what to do (just wrote about how he felt) and you are now explicitly telling him what not to do...

I'm looking forward to Steam, and I'd be completely at peace with MS Office on Linux, but to be honest I wouldn't understand why anyone would pay for it when they already have Open Office or Libre Office.
    Business would drop Libre for MS any day of the week, I personally prefer MS Office to Open/Libre Office. But MS Office runs perfectly fine in wine so it doesn't need to be ported, however I hope Office 2013 isn't metro only...

It's not like Photoshop and Gimp where there is a huge difference in performance and actual use though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I welcome Steam's APIs, which many game developers find useful for implementing achievements, cloud saves and so forth. It will make it a little easier to port games to Linux.

I also welcome the concept of an all-distro game store and the simplicity of distribution that will make Linux a little more welcoming for game publishers.

I also welcome the message of "Linux is ready for gaming" that Steam brings. Oh, and the Source engine; that will also aid in porting games.

However, I just installed a game yesterday onto Windows that requires Steam. First it had to update Steam in order to install the game. Then, Steam decided that it absolutely had to start updating the game itself. I tried to cancel this as I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.

Which would take over a day on my mobile broadband connection. And cost more than what I paid for the game.

If Steam is going to be like this on Linux, then I honestly won't buy any games that use Steam.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.
    Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.

Beans

However, I just installed a game yesterday onto Windows that requires Steam. First it had to update Steam in order to install the game. Then, Steam decided that it absolutely had to start updating the game itself. I tried to cancel this as I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.

Which would take over a day on my mobile broadband connection. And cost more than what I paid for the game.

If Steam is going to be like this on Linux, then I honestly won't buy any games that use Steam.
    That's the nature of steam, it does not suite users with limited bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by susimetsa View Post
    Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.
    Unfortunately that is a reality for some.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If it's a single player game, you have the option of disconnecting the internet, then starting Steam in offline mode. You should be able to use it as it's been shipped.

I feel your pain, I was on prepaid mobile broadband for a couple of years. 12GB for $150... needless to say I was not doing much gaming back then.

Oh and if you know someone with the game and a good internet connection, you can copy the folder from them and paste it into your pc and it will be fully updated. A quick online search will usually yield the name of the folder to copy.
    Last edited by Ji Ruo; September 30th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by susimetsa View Post
    A fairly competitive market in Australia means that those limits are ever increasing, and some ISPs already offer unlimited plans. Hopefully data caps eventually disappear.

Unfortunately Australia is large and sparsely populated, and some people aren't near the infrastructure they need. I guess 3rd is using mobile data from mobile phone towers, not broadband.

3rd, if you've been on the same plan for a while it's worth having another look around. Even just among the bigger ISPs (Telstra, Internode, iiNet, TPG, Optus) you can get mobile data at 9GB/$35, or 18GB/$80, with no contract. (I won't link, because I don't want to be accused of spamming, but have a look around)

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That's the nature of steam, it does not suite users with limited bandwidth.
    Not bandwidth - data quota
    Last edited by Trammer; October 1st, 2012 at 05:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Soon for 1000 people. In 2 or 3 years for everyone else.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Soon for 1000 people. In 2 or 3 years for everyone else.

Like sand through the hour glass,
    The days will surely pass.
    And in the coming dawn,
    Steam games shall be the norm.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Like sand through the hour glass,
    The days will surely pass.
    And in the coming dawn,
    Steam games shall be the norm.
    That be a strange glass of Steam your holding , time you went back to coffee "as in beans"
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast