Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

I propose that the rest of this thread is written as a series of haikus

The lucky 1000
    kill zombies with impunity;
    sands through the hourglass.

Beans

Well if developers could design a game to work on every platform relatively easily or just the one platform I don't know why they would bother only developing for windows only. With steam being the major player in pc gaming right now and recently available on mac and linux here's hoping this actually changes something.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by susimetsa View Post
    Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.
    Uhh, I don't know where "over here" is, but it's increasingly prevalent in the US. Many ISPs here have caps, and some that didn't, are now adding them. They usually range anywhere from 100 to 250 GB, but they are here, and it is possible to go over (I've gone over my 150 a few times, and back when it used to be 100, plenty of times then).
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ji Ruo View Post
    If it's a single player game, you have the option of disconnecting the internet, then starting Steam in offline mode. You should be able to use it as it's been shipped.
    "Requires online activation"

I haven't tried actually disconnecting the phone while installing the game. That might work. Still it's dumb to have to do that.

Oh and if you know someone with the game and a good internet connection, you can copy the folder from them and paste it into your pc and it will be fully updated. A quick online search will usually yield the name of the folder to copy.
    Thanks for the tip (and that's a really good tip), but I know nobody who does PC gaming.

3rd, if you've been on the same plan for a while it's worth having another look around. Even just among the bigger ISPs (Telstra, Internode, iiNet, TPG, Optus) you can get mobile data at 9GB/$35, or 18GB/$80, with no contract.
    Yes, I'm using phone tethering with prepaid Amaysim Unlimited, that's why I have 4 gigs of data. I can't really justify to my partner that I spend $50 on a mobile broadband stick, plus go on a mobile data plan of $35 a month, just for a casual bit of gaming. It's casual for me. It would have to be, because at mobile broadband data rates it'll take me days to download the updates for the game!

Still, a good suggestion. I probably won't take it, though - the purse-strings will be tight until we've saved up for a home, and then at that point I'll be shopping around for ADSL or wired NBN plans
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Soon for 1000 people. In 2 or 3 years for everyone else.
    I think February 2013 is the target for release. Not sure about betas.

ISPs implementing caps are bad, it's their cheat to offer higher speeds while they themselves don't improve their links much.

1mbps unlimited is like 300g a month, so advertise 10mbps and write in very small letters there is a 300g cap... Presto! No investment and they "look" competitive...
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    I think February 2013 is the target for release. Not sure about betas.

ISPs implementing caps are bad, it's their cheat to offer higher speeds while they themselves don't improve their links much.

1mbps unlimited is like 300g a month, so advertise 10mbps and write in very small letters there is a 300g cap... Presto! No investment and they "look" competitive...
    You clearly haven't heard of Valve time.
    That's what she said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    You clearly haven't heard of Valve time.
    I do very much hope Reverse Valve Time is at work this time.

Beans

This is so awesome that Steam is coming to Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    I agree. But I can hope, can't I? The trend is moving away from DRM. Apple is the first big company to make a big move (with their music service). DRM doesn't add any value. Personally, I'd rather see that money invested into more levels or characters or expansions. But that's just MHO.
    Just saying, DRM isn't meant to add value. It's supposed to make the games more worthwhile for publishers.

But I agree. DRM is horrid, especially when it's over the top. Take EA. Their love affair with SecuROM used to be quite distasteful, and you won't ever catch me buying one of their games again.

I think Steam has it relatively just right. It stops me from copying my games for other people, and that's about it. I can play is online, offline, and I can move it around on a harddrive if I have to. So I'm not so bothered about Steam's DRM.

Valve, you've done something right again.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast