Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    I know that it is out of control and that users and developers can do what they want. I'm just saying that stuff like DRM and Apple's policy on locking iOS, etc are unethical practices.
    This thread is not about Apple, please return to topic
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    This thread is not about Apple, please return to topic
    Ok, but I didn't really mean to point fingers at Apple or anything. Its more like for example if someone developed something like a Windows 8 start screen for ubuntu, made an API for it and controlled what could run on that start screen by an Apple alike store validation process.

Beans

Steam or anything like being ported to Linux is actually a good thing and may help Linux move beyond the +/- 1% .
    This account is not active.

Beans

Ok, but I didn't really mean to point fingers at Apple or anything. Its more like for example if someone developed something like a Windows 8 start screen for ubuntu, made an API for it and controlled what could run on that start screen by an Apple alike store validation process.
    Oh just get over it already, you have choices just like everybody else. Use it, don't use it but don't dictate to others what they can & cannot do

I actually welcome this just like I would welcome MS-Office or Photoshop being ported and made available on Linux. If you wanna compete then make a better product.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Oh just get over it already, you have choices just like everybody else. Use it, don't use it but don't dictate to others what they can & cannot do
    Ironically he actually never actually told anyone what to do (just wrote about how he felt) and you are now explicitly telling him what not to do...

I actually welcome this just like I would welcome MS-Office or Photoshop being ported and made available on Linux. If you wanna compete then make a better product.
    I'm looking forward to Steam, and I'd be completely at peace with MS Office on Linux, but to be honest I wouldn't understand why anyone would pay for it when they already have Open Office or Libre Office.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trammer View Post
    I'm looking forward to Steam, and I'd be completely at peace with MS Office on Linux, but to be honest I wouldn't understand why anyone would pay for it when they already have Open Office or Libre Office.
    I agree with you there. I'm forced to use Windows 7 as my OS at work, but I've still installed Libre Office on it and work solely on it, instead of MS Office. Why? Because I use Libre Office at home and don't want to play around with two different programs when I don't have to.

But for programs like Steam (and the games it brings) there are no Linux alternatives. Also, Gimp has never been as easy to use as Photoshop, Corel's Paint Shop Photo etc. (though Gimp has some better functions as well).

Overall, I see no problem using a mix of free and proprietary programs, as long as they allow me to do what I want to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Desura is a game client for linux, windows and mac games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    Desura is a game client for linux, windows and mac games.
    But lacks the backing that Steam has by the big box developers.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!

No, I have nothing against non-free and free software existing. But I am against, policies that interfere with free software development and non-free software that is just plain evil like iOS.
    Simmer down there Stallman.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    Simmer down there Stallman.
    No. Stallman would never say that he has nothing against non-free and free software existing. He would say something more along the lines of "all non-free software developers should be thrown in prison for life."
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast